close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winter GSSF'er Games

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by WIG19, Jan 9, 2006.

1. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

First - After trying to see what was in common about this post that might dictate where it goes (non-Glocks, Glocks, .45 ACP/.45 GAP (both Dawgs), 1911/non-1911, revolver/auto) I realized that the only common thread is that we are bunch of winter-bound GSSF'ers who got together to have some fun on a 33° day when we actually had some sunshine. (One of the FL bunch must've sacrificed a sheep or something...) So that's why this is in the GSSF forum area.

Everyone who's been making the matches from around here (minus Loran who had to work & transport a bunch of "subjects" on a Saturday afternoon, argghhhh) was getting together for an indoor pin-match west of Rochester. I thought it would be good since Tim & I both have to travel a bit if we made it a bit more interesting, having some top shooters convened - well, a couple anyway... ;) I cared not one whit about the match, but the chance to burn powder & see great buddies was too much to resist. Larry made it over as well as MISTER Parker, dp177's Dad who is seen here holding forth to Dwight about some carpentry issue with Larry & Tim looking on. :)
    [​IMG]

So I thought I wonder what a couple of good shooters could do with some .45's of various flavors, and did the extra $$$'s you can spend on a bullseye gun matter so much as the shooter - we probably all know the answer, that it can be both, but HEY!!! - I got art! ;f While of questionable scientific value, it was great fun - no further justification needed. C'mon SPRING!!!

I want to thank all who brought their various guns from a wide range of vintages that made this really interesting. As far as those that were fired, Butch brought his traditional bullseye gun, a wonderfully fun Webley, and his literally virgin G38 (now he can stop drooling over mine); dp177 brought his beautiful old Colt Nat'l Match and a S&W revolver circa 1955. My good buddies from Moe Hardware & Sporting in Black River Falls, WI lent me some guns as well: From Randy, a genuine, military, 1911 ca.1919 (uh, that had been nickel-plated along the way) and a '27 Argentine Sistema; from Troy his Kimber Classic Custom. Tim Warner also brought his nearly identical Kimber (we only shot the first one for group, though). #1 son was being responsible new homeowner and hanging out with an electrical contractor so couldn't make it but lent me his Series-70 Colt. I had brought my G38 (not needed now that Butch has his new love) and my G21. Sorry, no .45 LC rep was brought. Thanks to Larry & Butch for targets. ^c

FULL DISCLOSURE: DP and Butch were both REEEALLLLY tired, having just gotten off their shifts as Rochester's finest, due to retarded drivers on icy roads and an assault that Butch rolled on that involved at least 1 machete and I think there was a baseball bat too. Paperwork prevented him even getting to the match until well after 10:00. (Sorry, Tim, I missed the chance to get a photo of DP testing out the reclining capability of my truck seat but I saw His Drowsiness with my own eyes napping because he had to go back to work that night.) ;) Butch did the majority of the shooting, with DP turning in some outstanding work with both of his guns as well. After we were all packed up we realized we hadn't shot my 21, said to hell with it, and everybody parted because the sun was fading & the lethargic mercury was still spiraling downward. I did go back to my local range Sunday at noon, shot 5 into the leftover target with my G21 and, upon discovering that I'd loaded 6 instead, proceeded to ignore my own advice about leaving well enough alone. I then put that 6th one on the target to disturb what still is a 5-shot group I'm very happy with. The G21 is stock except for Heinies.) Targets were shot at a measured distance of approx 52 ButchFeet - On with the show!

2. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Here is Butch shooting his bullseye gun, the Webley, and dp177 shooting that beauty of a '55 Smith. (The Webley was great fun - fire, have lunch, listen for the hit... - and accorded itself well.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Here are some 5-round groups with the guns.
    Butch's bullseye gun, the Webley, and DP's S&W revolver.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Some more groups; DP's Natl Match, the stock Series-70, and the nickel 1911.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Finally, the '27 Argentine, the Kimber, Butch's G38, and my G21 group.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed 'em!

;?

6. TimWarner

TimWarner Resident Goth

wow, the first time I've ever been able to hide in a picture.

7. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

You are soooooooooooooo tactical. ;f

8. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Good job Wes!

And yes folks, the white stuff on the ground, it's snow.....but we've really had very little this year, so far anyway. :)

;?

9. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Nice cold weather shooting!

10. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Shooting is always fun. Shooting with friends is fun multiplied times the number of friends in attendance. Some guns & shooters can really shoot a tight group, can't they? :) MLM

11. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Mark, you are so right - I certainly expected that the 2 bullseye 1911s would do what they did in the hands of their owners. ^c

However, except for that 6th one I stupidly dumped into the 9-ring I'll put my $400 G21 up against my buddy's Kimber - in fact, I'll have to ask him if he wants to shoot for coffee & donuts. ;f
    "5 rounds Vasily; 5 rounds only please..."

But it is always 10x the fun to shoot with friends, especially good guys like these.

;?