Winter Driving Rant: Snow on the Car Windows

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jasonvp, Feb 11, 2010.

1. jasonvp

jasonvp Kantre Member Lifetime Member

:rant:

Dear Northern VA Drivers:

The vast majority of you have absolutely no clue how to drive in snowy and/or icy conditions. Your vehicles aren't ready for it from a tire or ground clearance perspective. And more importantly, YOU'RE not ready for it from a driving skills perspective. Please stay at home and don't venture out, because you're bound to cause more problems than you realize.

If, however, you insist on venturing out, have the common sense to completely clean the snow and ice off of every window on your car. Don't cut a small view port in the snow on your windshield. Don't assume the defrosters will clear the 2 feet of snow on your rear window. And don't expect the heaters in your cars to warm the side windows up enough to melt what's on them.

Clean them off. THEN drive to where ever you need to go.

------

I've got a GMC 2500HD crew cab pickup with the heavy diesel engine under the hood. It's a reasonably heavy truck, checking in somewhere north of 6500lbs empty. I have it shod with nice All-Terrain tires that work fabulously in this snow and ice. More importantly, I was raised in northern NY, so I understand snow. Further, I get vehicular dynamics from all the time I've spent on the race track.

I actually ENJOY driving in the slop. It's fun.

However, on my way to work this morning, I came upon a slow-moving Honda Accord in the right lane. I moved into the left lane to over-take him. As I pulled up along side his rear flank, he just decided he wanted to be in my lane. He didn't even see me, because his rear window had a foot or so of snow still caked on it, making the in-car rear-view mirror basically useless.

Fortunately (hm. Maybe that's: unfortunately?) my reflexes, ABS, and good tires saved the day, and I was able to stop the impending Accord Carnage. Had I hit him, I'd have driven away with a scratch on my front bumper, while he'd still be picking squished pieces of his little car out of the snow bank he was planted in.

Summary: do a self-assessment before you venture out. Be completely honest with yourself:
    1. Do I HAVE to be out here?
    2. CAN I actually drive in this stuff?
    3. IS my vehicle actually properly equipped?
    If the answer to any of these questions is no, then STAY HOME. Please.

:rant:

jas

2. JMS

JMS 02

Amen, I was out picking up nurses yesterday in Baltimore and every idiot and his brother, driving a no ground clearance, rwd vehicle was out. Luckily my horns are loud enough to scare the crap out of them and keep them out of my way. Where are they going to anyhow? Everything's closed.

3. okie

okie GT Mayor

Very well put Jason:thumbsup::supergrin:

4. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

How do we get a job like that? :supergrin::supergrin:

5. yellolab

yellolab

waaaaahhhhh, it's snowing outside, what do we do, waaaaahhhh

jeez, spend a winter here in Vermont

Kevin

6. JMS

JMS 02

Have a wife that's a nurse who they won't let leave the hospital unless you bring in all the night nurses who are stuck at home. Trust me, soaking wet (not in a good way), cold nurses who really don't want to go into work aren't the happiest bunch.:wavey:

7. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Let one off.

If you don't realize that 4WD and tires make NO difference on ICE, stay home.....

8. jasonvp

jasonvp Kantre Member Lifetime Member

You sure about that, mister know-it-all? I can stop JUST fine on ice with my 4WD. But I understand engine braking and static vs. dynamic friction.

:supergrin:

jas

9. lomfs24

lomfs24

Jason, why don't you tell us how you really feel. I mean, don't hold back. Holding in just makes things worse. Let it all out. Get the steam off.

I agree with you though. In no way do I claim to be an expert in driving. However, I did grow up and learn to drive in Montana. This afforded me the opportunity to occasionally drive on snow and ice between the months of November 1st and October 31st. When I moved to Oregon when it snowed, I stayed home. Not because I couldn't drive in it but no one else could. Luckily, it didn't snow often. Now, I live in New Mexico and they see snow a little more frequently but still few no how to drive in it. What is even more fun in driving code in an ambulance or fire engine while these other yahoo's are out and about.

On a side note, there is nothing more fun that getting a fire engine sideways. Of course I have only done that in a controlled setting in a driving course.

10. lomfs24

lomfs24

Oh, I almost forgot. When I worked in Montana I drove a 30 mile section of rural highway in the mountains that I personally dubbed "Death Valley" for some fairly obvious reasons. I worked with a guy who was so proud of himself because he went out and bought about $800 worth of snow tires for his little high dollar SUV. Then I explained to him that when he comes around a corner in death valley and there is an 18 wheeler in his lane it really doesn't matter how much he paid for tires or how good the tires are. $15 second hand bald take offs work as well as $200 dollar snow tires when being wedged under the front of a semi. :rofl: He quit working there shortly thereafter.

A good set of all weathers seem to work just fine if you know how to drive.

11. Turbodreams

Turbodreams

I hate winter. The snow, the cold everything about it, except driving in the snow. And for that reason I love having a Jeep. The som***** will go anywhere I want it to. And does some fun ass 4wd donuts.

12. Mrs. Tink

Mrs. Tink Semper Fidelis

I don't have a nice tall vehicle, so those morons who don't bother to clean off their roofs or windshields leave a nice cloud of snow blowing behind them on the highway. It goes everywhere. Occasionally a giant clod will fly off and splatter on my windshield. If these people would take two minutes to swipe this stuff off, it could save everyone else a lof of stress.

13. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Back in 1999 I had a brand new (two week old) car and got rear ended in my own neighborhood at a stop light. When I step out to survey the damage and whatnot, I look at the other car's windshield and the girl had about a basketball sized hole cleaned off on her windshield to peer through. :steamed: (Over $2K worth of damage.)

14. Marc1956

Marc1956 CLM #66

Metro Atlanta is expecting about 2 inches of snow on Friday evening. If you want some entertainment, see if you can get a local Atlanta radio or television broadcast to listen to or watch on Friday. If there is a loaf of bread or a drop of milk left in our grocery stores, it will be a miracle! It is almost a guarantee that Atlanta businesses will let employees off early on Friday so they can get home in front of the "blizzard". "Terrorists attacked Atlanta with a snow making machine. The city is paralyzed and the governor has declared martial law"! I'm just saying... :supergrin:

15. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    There's nothing in the Constitution about keeping your windows clear.

16. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

Snow on the car
    Snow on the car
    Lookin' like a fool with snow on the car

With the ice on your windows
    Hat turned sideways
    snow hits the ground
    Call yourself a cool cat
    Lookin' like a fool
    Drivin' downtown with snow on the car

Get it off, hey!
    Get the snow off the car
    Lookin' like a fool
    Walkin' talkin' with snow on the car

Get it off, hey!
    Get the snow off the car
    Lookin' like a fool with snow on the car

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  17. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
  18. mnhogrider

mnhogrider

They don't clear off their window glass probably because they don't have a good ice scraper and their using a credit card or Marlboro red box.

19. SoBored20

SoBored20

GIockGuy24 = Awesome

20. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

You'd be surprised how many people in this area CANNOT drive under bad winter conditions but do it anyway.