Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Rational
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this interesting documentary from 2003 about Gunships being used in Vietnam. Very cool. 51 minutes long, if you can spare the time.

Any Vietnam vets here with stories to tell about these planes, I would love to hear from you, and I'm sure many others here would as well.

:flag:

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
Watched the complete video with interest. Of course that wasn't my part of air war. I dropped iron bombs over there from 1966 through 1972, But I had a boss later in my career, who had been a Nav on an AC-47. He had some interesting stories to tell.

The video seemed very interesting. Things like President Johnson's stopping the bombing starting Nov 1968 stands out the largest in my memory. I feel we had them about whipped until that happened. Dumb decision, (among many other dumb decisions by our political leaders during that era) IMHO.

The 'attack orbit' described in the video is a basic maneuver taught to many pilots, called a 'Pylon Eight.' Basically you just fly about a 30 degree bank angle, and point the down wing at a point on the ground as you circle around the point. That way it's pretty easy to keep the guns concentrated on a fixed point on the ground, especially with the aid of on board electronic devices.

·
NRA Life Member
29,065 Posts
I always heard, don’t know if true, that the idea for gunships came from delivering the mail in South America.

Basically the mail pilot would fly the “ Pylon Eight “ and drop a mail bucket on a rope to the ground where it would basically stay in one place while people got their mail in/out of the bucket.

From that, it was a short stretch from a guy saying, “ if we can do that with mail, we should be able to put bullets in the same place also.”

Don’t know if true, but it sounds like American ingenuity.

:supergrin:

·
Am Yisrael Chai
34,827 Posts
Definitely a force multiplier. Good vid

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
I always heard, don’t know if true, that the idea for gunships came from delivering the mail in South America.

Basically the mail pilot would fly the “ Pylon Eight “ and drop a mail bucket on a rope to the ground where it would basically stay in one place while people got their mail in/out of the bucket.

From that, it was a short stretch from a guy saying, “ if we can do that with mail, we should be able to put bullets in the same place also.”

Don’t know if true, but it sounds like American ingenuity.

:supergrin:
I kind of doubt that??? Depending on the aircraft altitude and speed, the plane is flying in a circle that is probably at least several miles wide. Kind of hard to get the bucket into the center of the circle., unless he was really low to the ground. Bullets would be a little different.

And being that close to the ground and managing the bucket and rope would be a good trick, unless there were two guys in the plane. Don't know?????

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,410 Posts
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well when we(Foxtrot Co. 2nd Battalian 26th Regiment 3rd Marine Division)went "Afloat" in early September 1968 we were attached to the 1st Marine Division's 9th Marine Amphibious Brigade and would chopper off the deck of LPH5(USS Princeton, then LPH8(USS Okinawa) when the Princeton rotated out. CH-34s were our mode of transportation and we would land in hot or cold LZs. I for one loved the flying as it sure beat humping in. Ya we got shot at sometimes, but heck we got shot at many more times while on the ground humping the boonies. We were allowed to smoke on the 34s but the butts had to be thrown hard down and under the chopper. Mostly we were around the areas south of DaNang like An Hoa and Hoi An also known as "Dodge City" and "Arizona Territory". Here are some pics. Sayonara.

·
NRA Life Member
29,065 Posts
I kind of doubt that??? Depending on the aircraft altitude and speed, the plane is flying in a circle that is probably at least several miles wide. Kind of hard to get the bucket into the center of the circle., unless he was really low to the ground. Bullets would be a little different.

And being that close to the ground and managing the bucket and rope would be a good trick, unless there were two guys in the plane. Don't know?????

referenced in page 284 of this book under " gunships "; Capt. Ronald Terry, USAF.

https://books.google.com/books?id=FW_50wm8VnMC&pg=PA284&lpg=PA284&dq=delivery+mail+by+rope+and+airplane+in+the+jungle&source=bl&ots=SicOv4xi4P&sig=9spm470sypLuK2qq3rKinIBygz4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiCq7-5_LjdAhVvplkKHRwyCHUQ6AEwD3oECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=delivery mail by rope and airplane in the jungle&f=false

gunships.PNG

Don't know if true or not. This was the only reference I could find.

·
NRA Life Member
29,065 Posts

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Anybody else showing my second post, which should be like post #11, in the thread as a second post #1?

I wondering if it got flagged due to the "Old Testament" reference, sidelined for inspection and then inserted out of order?

·
7,245 Posts
It's too bad that the boots on the ground didn't have access to a C-130 gunship back when we were in Somalia. Evidently, Clinton thought that it would make our presence there too high profile. To hell with the safety of our troops. Perceived politics trumps everything (where have we seen that before).

A gunship flying over 'Mogadishu when we were trying to get our boys out alive could have made one hell of a difference in the real "Blackhawk Down".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts