Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want some wings. Our local Beef O'Brady's has some of the largest and best wings around. We used to hit them up for lunch on Fridays before a dive trip. Bone in, fried hard, extra wet. The Uber Eats delivers from another store and they almost always suck. Second place is Smokey Bones. Smoked wings are like candy but their sauces are meh...

Anyone make their own? I'm thinking about grabbing a bag of frozen wings next outing and doing it myself. I'm not a "fry guy", any tips on a fryer, oil and the like? It always seems like such a mess and hassle getting rid of old oil. What do you do?

·
Mentally Frozen
28,577 Posts
Suck on a bone its the same as eating a chicken wing.

·
NRA Life Member
66,554 Posts
I want some wings. Our local Beef O'Brady's has some of the largest and best wings around. We used to hit them up for lunch on Fridays before a dive trip. Bone in, fried hard, extra wet. The Uber Eats delivers from another store and they almost always suck. Second place is Smokey Bones. Smoked wings are like candy but their sauces are meh...

Anyone make their own? I'm thinking about grabbing a bag of frozen wings next outing and doing it myself. I'm not a "fry guy", any tips on a fryer, oil and the like? It always seems like such a mess and hassle getting rid of old oil. What do you do?
Nothing simpler. I haven't worked in a restaurant since the 80's, but as I recall, we took some frozen wings, dropped them in a deep fryer for a few minutes, then put them in any kind fo container with a very small amount of sauce, shake it around, and dump them on a plate.

Reactions: syntaxerrorsix

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Suck on a bone its the same as eating a chicken wing.

Not these wings. These are big ass wings my friend. Like three times the size of Buffalo Wild Wings or the usual fair. I don't like small wings either.

Reactions: Ramjet38

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isn't there a southern tradition that has to do with blowing up frozen turkeys in hot oil? Maybe you could try a variation on that. At least it would be outside.

I smoke my turkeys :D

Attachments

Reactions: 1bigK

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
We got a Beef O here too. Shut down. No beer. No grub. No meat raffle.

might have to break in and create some magic.

Reactions: syntaxerrorsix

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use an air fryer and dunk the fried wings in some Franks Red Hot and some butter.
How big is your air fryer? Can you do a decent batch? How much oil do you need?

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That looks a lot better than fried to me.

It is. Wings are weakness for me however. I don't get them often but I sure wish I could...

·
Registered
14,433 Posts
Which is exactly why I've never got into frying foods at home.
Air fryer.

We have a Ninja Foodi ( which is a combination slow cooker/pressure cooker/ air fryer) and it does the fryer part ( all the parts, really) very well...

0412201952.jpg

0116202005.jpg
0311201748a_HDR.jpg
Wings come out really well , with a crisp skin and steaming hot inside, they get put in a bowl with some Frank's Red Hot and melted marjorine and tossed, then dumped on a plate....restaurant quality.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Air fryer.

We have a Ninja Foodi ( which is a combination slow cooker/pressure cooker/ air fryer) and it does the fryer part ( all the parts, really) very well...

View attachment 741018
View attachment 741022 View attachment 741026 Wings come out really well , with a crisp skin and steaming hot inside, they get put in a bowl with some Frank's Red Hot and melted marjorine and tossed, then dumped on a plate....restaurant quality.

Nice I'll look into it. How much oil does it use? If I'm not mistaken it still take some.

·
Registered
14,433 Posts
Nice I'll look into it. How much oil does it use? If I'm not mistaken it still take some.

No oil at all.

The Foodi ain't cheap, but ours has been absolutely worth it, in terms of ease of use , cleanup, and most importantly, RESULTS.

Here is last night's dinner, a pork tenderloin with a garlic-pepper rub; a nice outer crust, juicy and incredibly tender inside.....the whole thing took 25 minutes.

0416202033.jpg

1 - 20 of 56 Posts