close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

wing shooting dove

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by gunnin_em_down, Sep 19, 2004.

1. gunnin_em_down

gunnin_em_down

i went on my first dove hunt yesterday. i loved it, it's like cocaine! i killed 8 but shot at about 40! they are a lot faster and smarter than i thought. i don't have a skeet range around my area and i'm not paying the money for a personal skeet machine. so if you had to guess would you say i'm not leading them enough or what is the most common mistake. please help!

josh

2. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

The most common mistake is not following through, the tendency to stop the swing when the trigger is pulled. Practice at the skeet range with a buddy standing behind you watching can help alot. He can tell you if you're shooting in front, behind, high or low.

3. noway

noway

Your best practice and suggestion is to keep going to the field. Here you are getting real-world experience on shooting doves. Skeet ranges & clays are fine but they don't always fly like a dove. ;)

4. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Try and keep your index finger of your forward hand (on the forearm) pointing to the muzzle of the gun along the side of it, so that when you are swinging the gun, you are also pointing to your target. It helped me with my follow through and hand-eye coordination. If I am in trouble, I always revert back to it. Give it a try. It may work.

5. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

It's all about the follow-through. The most common miss, BTW, is shooting behind.

6. 357glocker

357glocker

Your best bet is to blame the shells and complain that there were no bb's in there, seems to make me feel better about my "missed" shots;f

7. tjpet

tjpet

Not enough lead is pretty common. But a lot of folks don't keep their head down on the stock. That leads to shooting high (your rear eye is the rear "sight". Lift it and you shoot high) and then it doesn't matter whether the lead's correct or not.

8. Hoingshiba

Hoingshiba willhunt4food

I have to agree with keeping your head down. Other than experimenting with different types of leads and follow thrus, keeping your head welded to the gun is very important. I had a problem with pulling my head off and looking right before I shot and had to bust that habit. There are a lot of ways to lead/follow through, so read up and try some out to see what works best for you. - T

9. gunnin_em_down

gunnin_em_down

the other day i was hunting and i took a shot, and i didn't have a shell chambered. instead of the gun firing, i noticed i droped the muzzle like 2 inches b/c i was anticipating the recoil. is this a problem?

10. Hoingshiba

Hoingshiba willhunt4food

Yeah, that could be an issue as well. I have noticed myself doing that too, unless I am focusing on the fundamentals and making a point not to do that. I think the trick to being a great shot isn't fancy tricks and the showy stuff, I believe it all boils down to practicing the fundamentals until you know exactly what everything should feel like without thinking about it. Kinda a muscle memory type thing. - T