close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wine...Educate me please

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by 16vmkII, Dec 2, 2004.

1. 16vmkII

16vmkII Whipped

I'm alchohol retarded. I don't know a thing about wine or champagne (sp?). What goes with what meal..White? Red? Fruity? Good Brand? Bad Brand? I'm lost;g

Thanks,

16vmkII

2. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

This is a fairly complex thing to answer in a quick post. There are guides that you could check to get the basics. Basically you choose the white wine for less hearty fare such as chicken and fish. Your reds will go for the more complex flavor of meats. This is not hard and fast and is really determined by how the flavors compliment each other. Pick wines with a cork and a date on the label for best results.:)

3. Dino Rustler

Dino Rustler

Just go buy "Wine for Dummies". Lots of info and easy reading. If there are winery's near you go taste and see what you like. Everybody is differant as to their wine taste. Remember price alone does not make a good wine.

4. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Remember to sniff the bottle cap...makes people think you have class.

;f ;f ;f

5. Remander

Remander

http://www.foodtv.com/food/wine_drinks

This link is to the Food Network's wine and drinks section. It has some good basic info on wines and pairings with food.

I have learned a lot by going to wine shops and not being afraid to ask "stupid questions." If you get snobbiness, like in some gun stores, move on. But I have found that most wine folks are like good gun people: they love to share their knowledge with new folks and bring them into the fold.

Wine is cheap these days. I try lots of different stuff from around the world for $9 to $15 a bottle. Most is pretty good, and when you hit that $10 bottle you love, it is a nice feeling.

Good luck!

6. noway

noway

General rule is white wines with white meats ( fish/pork/chicken ) and red for red meats ( beef/veal/vension/lamb ).But that rule can be broken. You can ask 200 drinkers of vino what they perfer and get 200 differenet answer.

best bet is to try them all. You then will begin to figure out what you like and from what region or the world. Right now imho alot of cali produce wine is very but the italy region is best for white and france has produce alot of red wines that just excellent. I drink them both, but love a very good mellow wine.

if you have any store in your area that do weekly or month samplings, make sure you mark it on your calendar and head on out when they offer them. or do I lile I do, buy the darn $8.99 -13.99 bottle and try it out. The worst that you can get is a half drunk bottle of wine and then you know what you don't like. ;c

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

16vmkII,

The practice of wine drinking and tasting can't even come close to being covered by a couple of postings. It's best that you tell us what you plan on eating and we can give more specific advices.

8. AndABeer

AndABeer Proud pappy

Check out your local conitnuing education programs. Some actually offer classes in wine - WITH SAMPLING! My kinda class!

9. AAshooter

AAshooter

First, just realize you are in a world of preferences. There are no hard rules to wines. Experiment with them and drink what you like. People get too hung up on rules.

For example, generally people drink a white wine with fish. The lighter wine tends not to mask the delicate flavors of the fish. However, if you enjoy your meal with orange juice, warm coke, or red wine . . . go for it.

That said, there is a lot of resources that are out there to educate yourself on wines and the subtle aspects of them. Best practices in combining certain wines with foods. For example, Netflix (if you are a member) has several DVDs available on the subject.

This may or may not increase your enjoyment in wines. For example, knowing all the details about firearms and shooting may or may not increase your enjoyment of shooting.

So the bottom line is go experiment and try lots of types. If you want to adopt it as a hobby, you can get as deeply into it you want. Also, if you have a good wine shop in your area, they can often guide your experimentation and make suggestions are you get started.

For me, Zin goes with everything. Breakfast cereal, hot dogs, salmon, lobster, steak . . . all goes well with Zin.

Here are the two wines I find I go back to most often. I hesitate to call them my table wines but they tend to be what I drink unless I want something special. You might want to give them a try.

* Ravenswood Zinfandel Vintner's Blend ~ $7
    * Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay Vintner's Reserve ~$9

Another way to get started is have a pot luck with a bunch of friends. Everyone bring a dish and a bottle of wine. Have informal wine tastings so you can try a lot of different wine cheaply. Just remember there is an art to wine tasting and that all wines tend to taste better the more your drink. So that wine that was so good at the end of the night might not be as tasty the next time you try it. But usually everyone has a good time.

10. Texas Boy

Texas Boy

Dont ask me. I buy Carlo Rossi by the gallon.

11. AAshooter

AAshooter

The question is what do you do with it? ^8

Seriously, you could do worse and as long as you enjoy it. Here's to ya'!;Y

12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

16vmkII

Here are a few thoughts:

* You don't say where you are. If you are in a large metro area, wine stores usually have tastings where you can learn about (and drink) wines for not much more than the cost of the wine itself.

* Be stupid. When you go to a nice place, ask what wine you should get. If you are doing a dinner, ask at a wine store what would be a good choice. I know a lot about wine and I still do this so as to get another opinion.

* Be smart. Pick an area or type of wine to learn about. Saying you are going to learn about "wine" is like saying you are going to learn about "history." It's too big a subject to learn all at once.

In vino veritas.

-NL

13. nickg

nickg

my advice is to just drink what you like and tastes good to YOU.

too many "wine afficianados" sit there and try to show their "expertise" in "analyzing" ever frikkin' bottle they open. "it's peppery yet oaky with just a hint of cherry with the undercurrent of a taste of vanilla" SHUT THE ____ UP!!!!

while you're agonizing over the damn stuff i just finished the bottle and took off with your old lady!!!! ;f ;f ;f

to me wine (or any spirit) either tastes good or it doesn't, and no agonizing over it. ;Q ;Q

14. noway

noway

e.g

last night I bought a wine from a brand I never drink before. It a Pinot Grigio name Torresella with a Peashant on it. It cost me about 8 dollars and it was pretty good. I might buy another bottle.

So do like nickg said, 'drink what you like and taste good'

Don't be shy and try alot of the common named brands and off brands. Also the California winerys are not tobe over looked. Plus the side benefit is you are help out an American Company.

"You can tell German wine from vinegar by the label."
    Mark Twain.

15. AAshooter

AAshooter

;z ;z ;z

That said, it is hard to beat their beer!;V

16. noway

noway

Or their cars and guns ;c

17. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Speak of the Devil...

I own that book and completely forgot about it until I read this post.

Guess I have some reading to do! :)

18. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

USUALLY THE RULE OF THUMB IS: WITRH FISH OR POULTRY, A DRY WHITE WINE. WITH BEEF OR PORK OR ITALIAN FOOD HEARTY HEAVIER FOOD, A RED OR BURGUNDY DRY HEARTY WINE. WITH DESSERT AND ORDERVES A MORE LIGHTER, LESS HEARTY AND MORE FRUITY WINE WOULD WORK FINE. GOOD PRICES ON WINE CAN BE FOUND BY BUYING A CALIFORNIA WINES. THEY ARE SLIGHTLY CHEAPER THAN IMPORTED WINES AND ARE VERY GOOD QUALITY TOO. GOOD LUCK IM A WINE LOVER MYSELF. NEVER MET A WINE I DIDN'T LIKE...LOL

19. MGomez81

MGomez81 .

Caretaker, you really should kill the bold letter stuff. It's a bit shocking to the eyes.

Please?

20. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

sorry just always done it that way. i am a big guy and i like big things...just gonna have to deal with it and me...sowry...oh well