close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WindowsXP and USB hubs

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Thirties, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Thirties

Thirties

I hava a winXP Media Centerlaptop. Since the machine comes with 4 usb ports, I bought a Trenware TU-700 7-port USB2 hub. It comes with it's own power supply that plugs into ac outlet.

It is acting very oddly, with the printers not able to print, and it failed to recognize my maxtor external 200gb drive (it works now from one of my computer's usb ports). I've not yet done a methodical trouble shooting yet (tested the same working item on each port).

I wonder if anyone here knows if there are 'typical' usb hub problems, or should I just spend a few hours trying to determine which 'sockets' are bad, etc?

The laptop and the hub were new May '06.

I also have a scanner, smartmedia reader, and an iomega 250 zipdrive plugged in.

Thanks...

2. TheGreatFuzzMan

TheGreatFuzzMan Glock Addict

"I also have a scanner, smartmedia reader, and an iomega 250 zipdrive plugged in."

Into the computer?

First thing to check is if anything works on the hub at all. Plug a mouse or something you know for a fact works into it and see what happens. If that works, then it may be a problem with the hub. If the mouse doesn't work, there may be a windows driver problem. Make sure to follow applicable instructions relating to drivers that came with the hub. Most hubs you can plug in and they work. However, I have come across some that need drivers installed, updated, etc. I don't have any experience with your particular brand. Good luck.

3. bambihunter

bambihunter 10mm collector

Unfortunately, this situation is not unusual at all. Many multi-function printers and other "usage intensive" products act irregular or not at all when plugged through a hub. Since this is on a laptop, your options are limited. Sometimes you can change the USB settings from USB 2.0 to 1.1 (which slows it WAAAAY down) in the BIOS. This will generally solve printing issues, but often creates data transfer issues with external hard drives.
    If you have an unused PCMCIAA slot, they make (or at least made) a USB card that uses that slot. I don't remember the cost, but I was thinking it was in the $50 range. Other options are to have the items plugged to another computer and "share" them through the other computer(s). For the printer, you can also use a network print server. Also, many laptops have docking stations which typically add many more ports for USB and other devices.

You can probably keep trying the hubs and sometimes you'll find one that works for all your particular stuff, but I don't know of any one brand that works with most stuff...

4. Thirties

Thirties

I snooped around and discovered that my problem might have been my USB-1 external Zip drive. So I reconfigured what I had running off my 7 port external router.

Here is how I have things now, and it seems to be working -- all items tested ok:

Laptop computer's built-in 4 usb ports have three in use, and one open:

External 200gb hard drive
    creative labs external sound card/box
    one usb cable for the 7-port external hub
    one spare usb port

The external 7-port hub has

two usb printers;
    one scanner
    one usb laser mouse

three empty ports for the following items that I plug in only when I use them:

two flash drive sticks
    external smartmedia card reader
    foot pedal for digital voice recorder transcription

---

It seems that when you plug in a USB-1 device into your usb-2 hub, everything is slowed down to USB-1 speeds.

The only usb-1 item I have is an ancient external Zip drive. So when I use it, I plug it into the spare port on the laptop. And now that memory stick drives are so common, maybe I won't be needing the zip drive.

As I said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed . . .

By the way, the TRENDnet folks are not at all helpful. I was able to learn a lot from D-Link web site and D-Link users. So I ordered a 7-hole d-link hub as a back up in case my TRENDnet dies again on me.

Thanks for your replies, folks . . .

5. Thirties

Thirties

So, this stinkin' little hub has started to malfunction again. Replacement D-Link on it's way from the Left coast.

Menwhile a rep from TRENDnet finally called back and they will take it back. He said it shouldn't be getting hot. They will inspect/test, then repair or replace.

Will ship it to them when I've received and installed the D-Link.

Who knows, maybe I'll end up with two fine-working 7-port hubs (or at least one).

6. wanna19

wanna19

Yeah, I have a Lacie 350 external HDD that'll only work reliably when plugged into my computer or it's dockin station (I have a tablet pc), but all my other powerhungry usb devices work fine. Oh well. I do have one port on a usb hub powering another usb hun which I use for my wireless keyboadr and mouse. This setup work 99% of the time and usually requires a reboot when it doesn't work. I do have a card reader as well that comes up unrecognized, but when I put in a card, it suddenly becomes recognized... Oh well, as long as it works, right?