close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

windowsxp and directx9

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jolt8me, Jan 29, 2006.

1. jolt8me

jolt8me Your the devil

o.k. heres the deal. i bought this computer from dell about 3 years ago. since then i have moved. I had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows xp. i lost the serial number card to it and called dell up. No dice its been 3 years and they wont help. call up microsoft. call microsoft and of course i get a computer with no choice to talk to a person. The computer doesnt even give me a choice for my situtaion. the choices are registering my version of windows or buying windows. so i get a serial number from the internet. then it installs and tells me i have to go register. i go register and it doesnt work. so i go and get a hack and get around the problem. now i have a program that wants directx9. will i have problems if i install directx9 or should everything be ok?

btw never buy from dell. they wouldent help me and i come to find out that my sound card is one only made for dell and dell doesnt have the drivers anymore neither does the card manufacturer. I do onw my version of windows xp i just lost the serial number to it. before people jump on me think of it this way. you buy a car and if you lose the keys does the dealership tell you "im sorry your going to have to buy a new car"

2. 308endurdebate

308endurdebate

Every Dell I've seen with XP has the Microsoft Key sticker attached to the case somewhere. As far as drivers, I'm sure the drivers are on their support website - support.dell.com. They still have drivers for computers from eons gone by. I know they still have them for my old Dell latitude CPI (P2-366) from 1998.

I don't think any vendor keeps copies of the license keys, so I'm not sure any vendor would be able to help. The same thing would have happened if you built the computer yourself and you lost the XP key which you bought at bestbuy. Not sure you can really blame Dell. If you were still under warranty, then perhaps they might have responsibility - I only use warrant for hardware support myself.

I don't think you'll have problems with Direct X, but couldn't say for sure.

Good Luck
    Ken

3. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

That's weird. Every XP Dell I've ever dealt with used a BIOS unlock and never even asks for a CD key.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

What is the exact Windows XP version?Home;Pro;SP1;SP2?

Is it the original Dell CD?

What is exact model and hardware of the PC?

5. jolt8me

jolt8me Your the devil

it's xp professional. its a dimension 8200 1.7 with the 400mhz fsb. The soundcard i mentioned before is the sound blaster live ct4780.

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

okay.I know the model.Is the Dell Windows CD without SP1 or SP2?I'm on the exact same PC right now but mine is older than 3 years.

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I think the Dimension 8200 was replaced with 8250 long before you bought that one.Was it a refurb?

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

9. jolt8me

jolt8me Your the devil

yeah i already downloaded that driver from dell. when i tried to install it said i did not have a sound blaster card installed. so i went online and found some other people with the same problem and it turned out that it was a card only built for dell. thanks for trying though.

10. 308endurdebate

308endurdebate

If you enter the service tag on the support website(rather than just selecting your model), it should offer the drivers specifically for your machine. They sometimes do have different revisions of cards, so using the service tag is best.

11. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Okay I know which one it is now.Can download the correct driver from Dimension 8100 or even the xps_bxxxR .That card was discontinued a long time ago and wasn't suppose to be in 8200 but got in a few early ones.Yours sounds like an early one or a redurb.Also there was a problem with the original sound card location next to the video card.Best to move it down to the next to last bottom PCI slot.Not the bottom slot but the one just above it.