close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

windows xp

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jeff51, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Jeff51

Jeff51 NRA Life Member

I have Windows ME and I'm trying to upgrade to XP, I bought an upgrade CD and have TRIED to install it 3X and every time I get to the part where its supposed to install the new OS the computer shuts down!!!!! I have waited from 10 mins to an hour and half and still does nothing. I know that its supposed to restart the computer several times, but it wont. Anybody got ant suggestions? Jeff

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

try booting off the Windows XP cd: with the cd in your drive, turn on your computer, and see if you get a message like "press any key to boot from cd" and just hit some keys on the keyboard. I think it gives the option for like 5 seconds when starting up.

from what i've heard (but never tried), you can install XP off an upgrade cd if you have the Windows ME activation code (which should be on the side of the computer case or the ME instruction manual).

It could be a driver issue if you want to go hunt down ME drivers.

edited to add: fyi, if the system doesn't come back up within about 4 or 5 seconds after restarting, it's not going to come back up without you hitting the on/off button. I'm just throwing this in there so you don't waste more time.

3. malkore

malkore

it sucks to upgrade MEh to XP. if at all possible, backup your data and program settings to slave drive, or CD, and reformat it in NTFS during the XP install and start from scratch.

4. KSS745

KSS745 The Geek!!

If I remember correctly, XP has to do a fresh install of the OS if you are upgrading from ME or ealier versions. Like David_G17 said above, try booting off the CD. If it wont you have to go into the BIOS settings and change the device boot order to make the CD-Rom read before the Hard Drive(HDD).

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

What I do in at least 80% of cases is to remove the old HDD and install an 80GB (minimum) fresh HDD.

Then boot from CD, format NTFS and install XP.

After which you shut down and Slave the old HDD in.

All of your data (that which wasn't cursed with eternal damnation from being on the same drive as Malevolent Edition) will be available to you.

Good luck!