close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Windows xp workgroup problem - pls help!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Deanster, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Hi all -

I'm a moderately technical guy (but not a real network admin type) who's found himself running a small office network (<10 machines), and normally, everything works fine running just a workgroup set-up. However, one XPsp2 machine was moved to a new location (no other set-up changes), and since then, has been refusing to participate in the workgroup.

It looks like that machine has tried to become the Workgroup Master Browser, kicking out the machine that normally does that job via a forced election, and then won't do anything else. I've replaced it as the Master Browser, and changed the RegKey for 'Maintain Server List' from 'Auto' to 'No', and everything else is working fine, but it still won't participate in the Workgroup.

It's logging into e-mail on the mail server just fine, accessing the internet no problems, and it shows up on the Workgroup Master Browser's list of attached clients, but does not appear in 'show workgroup computers' on other machines, and will not display other workgroup machines on its own 'show workgroup computers'.

Any ideas how to address this? I've already uninstalled and re-installed the Windows Network Client, variously restarted, turned on and off the Windows firewall, and otherwise futzed with the network connection, but now I'm thinking that somewhere in the registry, a setting for SMB participation has been messed up - perhaps there's a 'particpate in workgroups like a normal computer - Auto' setting or some such.

Any help appreciated?

2. gudel

gudel

they all have the same workgroup names? i had something like this happenned, couldn't browse local workgroup. turns out one of them in the wrong workgroup and/or file sharing is disabled.

3. Deanster

workgroup names match and file sharing is enabled.

4. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

can you access the machine via \\enteripaddresshere ? (for example \\127.0.0.1)

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

It probably has something to do with M$'s 'security' BETA that was implemented in the Service Pack II 'update'.

Are any of the other machines on the Group running SP2?

I would turn the security off entirely on SP2, along with the ICF (if there is a HW NAT filter acting as a firewall to the Web); that might do it.

Then, you can just enable its M$ security scheme until it messes things up again, then back off a little.

If that does not work, try ripping the connection and running the NetSetup util again with all of SP2's security turned off.

Good luck,

FastVFR

6. Deanster

Solved - for reference, I thought I'd un-installed Symantec Security, but apparently it didn't actually come off, and somehow in the process, Symantec Firewall was activated.

I never thought to check if a firewall in software I'd un-installed was working, until I went into the system tray for something, and saw the Icon (previously hidden by Windows).

I really really hate the way WindowsXP tries so hard to hide the things you don't use... it makes it so darn hard to find something when you need it, or to figure out what's really running....

Grrrrr....

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

;z

D'oh!!

Glad you got it solved.