Windows Vista questions...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TED, Aug 4, 2007.

1. TED

TED Millennium Member

I just bought a new laptop and it came with Windows Vista. I'm finding it very different from XP and overwhelmingwith too many settings and so forth. I am not a computer person by any means.

I know that as far as the hardware goes, this laptop is supposed to be better and faster than the previous one I had running XP. However, it seems slower. This leads me to beleive that Vista is slower and more of a system resource hog than XP.

Can someone give a me a guide on how to optimize Vista settings for a balance between performance and security.

Thanks for all the help over the years guys. As someone who knows just how much I don't know, I really appreciate it.

TED

2. Kentucky_Guy

Kentucky_Guy

ive had vista on my desktop since it came out and seemed slower than XP..

first, what security software are you running??? if it is Norton, get rid of that POS and get something like Kaspersky or TrendMicro. Norton is a HUGE resource hog.

also go to your startup/boot screen "msconfig" and uncheck any programs that you dont need at startup, this can slow it down.

get a good registry cleaning program like ccleaner (free) or Registry Mechanic. you would be surprised how many errors your registry has..

with the ccleaner, delete all your cookies and temp. internet files, another thing that will slow down your system..

if you havent done so in a while, de-frag your hard drive..

these are things i have found that speed up Vista on my machine....

edit: also if you are using IE, dump that POS and get firefox with the 'fasterfox' add on...my broadband is lightning fast with it

Bruce

3. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

What kind of memory came with your laptop?

I bought a new HP laptop several months ago, running Vista but it came with 2gigs of memory and is very fast. I have zero complaints or problems with HP and Vista.

At home I'm on a wireless router and use IE, again with zero problems or issues. I get streaming video just fine.

4. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

+1 on getting rid of norton, at least this time they made it somewhat easy to get rid of. I use Panda Anti-virus, the license covers 3 machines if you've got a desktop at home, it has worked great since they got the Vista capable out in Feb.

5. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

If you don't have at least 1 GB of Ram it would be too slow.
    Some of the things on startup take a bit of time checking but it will run faster after you change some settings.
    Windows Defender is Microsoft's answer to antispyware/antimalware. A lot of time I find it slows down the computer as it is searching. Depending on how much at risk, you might turn it off and back on in the future.
    I would use Norton Antivirus for the first three months and when you get your bearings straight, erase it and get something better.

6. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Note well that the Vista 'sleep' mode is great in one sense and a curse in another. Yes, it keeps your machine state so you can just pop right back to what you were doing. But, be aware that it powers everything off, so no tasks run (like your anti-virus) and the NIC is disconnected, so no updates.

Also be aware that you can't just move the mouse or hit a key to wake it up. Machines vary, e.g., on my DELL workstation I hit ESC to wake up, on my Satellite laptop I hit the on/off button to wake it up or click the mouse scroll wheel.

If you get Ultimate, Vista chess is easy to beat, but the animated backrounds are approaching, but not quite, neato. :supergrin:

7. TED

TED Millennium Member

Wow, how can mircosoft get away with so sconsistently making crappy andbadly designed products? Even their improvements are just varying degrees of screwed up.

TED

8. Rabbit Creek

Rabbit Creek

Try a Google.com search "Vista Speed Tweaks", same search on Metacafe

9. Toyman

Toyman

Because their competition is even worse.

Windows XP is great. It's fast, customizable, and relatively secure when used properly.

10. mjm0771

mjm0771 Guest

Quick Answer: Downgrade to WinXP

My wife bought a new Dell Inspiron Laptop. Dual core P4 1.73 GHz with 2GB of memory. Vista Home premium ran uncomfortably slow. We dealt with it for as long as we could. Finally the day came were I backed up all our documents, favorites, email, etc and wiped the Vista partition away!

After installing WinXP Pro, and got it updated with SP2 and all hotfixes and patches, the overall system runs 2x faster!!!

Just my.02

-mike

11. malkore

malkore Guest

honestly i wouldn't run Vista without 2gb of RAM, and a 512mb video card. 256mb bare minimum.

if you can, run it with 4gb of Memory and it wont' suck.