Windows Vista And Avast 4.8 Home Edition not getting along.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by goldenlight, Jan 10, 2010.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight

I installed Avast 4.8 home edition in a friend's computer.

Now on boot-up, Windows Live says to 'remove an interfering program': Avast.

I know there is some sort of Microsoft anti virus program; do I need to remove it?

And if so, exactly how do I do that.

The computer seems to work OK, but it is giving that warning message, and I want to avoid any future trouble.

Have other Vista and Avast users run into this problem, and what did you have to do.

Many thanks!

2. southernshooter

southernshooter

I have been running avast on my acer cheapo computer (06 or 07 model w/ vista) for years with no problems so far.

3. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Two antivirus programs on the same computer interfere with each other. So you gotta get rid of whatever the other antivirus program is if you want to use Avast. If it's a new computer it's probably Norton or McAfee.

I'm actually surprised it didn't warn you about the other antivirus before installing, but it's possible Avast doesn't do that.

4. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

same here

curse them to hell

5. Danimal3805

Danimal3805

Another +1 for Avast, it's awesome

6. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Running Avast 4.8 Home edition on a Vista laptop right now.

My guess is that the parental controls on the PC are in full "you're an idiot and we're Microsoft" mode, with User Account Controls and other Microsoft crap turned on.

I use their firewall and anti malware programs with auto update in ask first mode and User Account Control OFF. The first time I tried to install a program and Windows kept telling me that what I was doing was dangerous to their, I mean my, computer I about blew a vein in my head. User Accounts went down right then.

7. LanceOregon

LanceOregon

Why on earth are you installing software on other people's computers, when you have so very little computer knowledge yourself??

Windows Live OneCare is the name for Microsoft's AntiVirus. If that has been installed, then you need to uninstall it first, before installing another AntiVirus program.

Microsoft also has a Windows Live messenger program too. Perhaps that is the program that is being referred to. Check with your friend and see if he actually even uses Windows Live messenger. If he doesn't, then that would be a program that could be easily uninstalled.

So check and see what other AntiVirus software may have been installed on the computer, and remove any that may be there. That should have been the first thing to do before installing a new AntiVirus.