close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Windows Updates - Multiple Servers

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nyper, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Nyper

Nyper

Ok.. before I actually try and research this much myself, let's see if GT really is the fountain of all knowledge. :)

We have several different servers at work. Some are Windows 2000 and others are Windows 2003. We do not use Active Directory or a domain controller, etc. They are all in the same workgroup on the same LAN, but that's about it.

We do not want to enable automatic updates on these, because we don't want an update to install & interfere with any of our applications without us knowing it.

I know with Active Directory we can set the machines to get updates from just one server, and push them all out at once. Is that possible to do without AD & without a domain controller? It is becoming a hassle to manually update a dozen individual servers.

2. srhoades

srhoades

I have no idea to the answer to your question but I have one of my own. Why would your company pay for Windows 2k or Windows 2003 server if they are not actually using them as a server? Any old computer would do.

3. Nyper

Nyper

I never said we weren't using them as servers. I just said we don't have a need for AD or domain controllers (yet). They are all acting as servers...

4. glck123

glck123

You could use WSUS to do this active directory is not a requirement, you just need iis on the server that is going to be the WSUS server. WSUS is free. Although, you will not be able to "push" updates, you can determine which updates you want to approve and can configure each server to schedule when to install updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/updateservices/default.mspx

-Chris

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

6. malkore

malkore

I'm the same way....2003 Server licenses, but a friggin work group?

i run my own domain at home for 2 workstations...its not hard, and I'm not a trained IT pro.

7. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

dunno, I bet you could if installed/configured remote desktop on all the workstations, and had working knowledge of a programming language or WSH or something.

Bite the bullet, spend a few hours learning how to do an initial AD build, and buy SMS -dok