close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Windows update = lock-up

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wayne02, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Wayne02

Wayne02

My son has an Alienware something or other pc. He got a notice yesterday to do a windows update. After the update it of course requires a re-start. After the re-start the machine freezes at the windows xp pro loading screen. Subsequent boots result in the same thing.

Can boot in safe/networking mode but that is all.

What say you?

Thanks
    Wayne

2. pyblood

pyblood

Since he can enter into safe mode, I would recommend seeing what is starting up with the PC.
    Once in safe mode go to start and select run. Type msconfig and wee what is starting up with the PC. See if there’s anything that you don’t recognize or want starting up and uncheck it. Restart the PC and see if fixes the problem.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Sounds like that AW got a driver update it didn't like, or M$'s latest Tuesday Glitch b0rked it up. There was a serious problem with their latest batch, BTW...but it looks like it has been fixed as the hotfix is installing properly now.

If Py's advice doesn't help you, I'd run DriverCleaner against the vid card drivers in safe mode to see if that's the problem. Be ready to reinstall the drivers.

Just don't expect the AW tech support to be very helpful.

4. srhoades

srhoades

I'd have to agree probably a new driver that windows update downloaded. I've seen it happen with my moms network adapter and a buddy's onboard sound card.

5. Bronson7

Bronson7

Yeah, on the latest, I couldn't get KB913446 to install. Had to go thru the help section, download it to my desktop and install it. Worked fine that way. Had to go back and let it scan for updates again to get rid of the shield icon in my systray.
    Bronson7

6. Wayne02

Wayne02

Can I disable the avg AV software and then try another windows update while in safe mode?

Edited to add: Havn't tried the above yet. However, I'm really confused now. The system is showing some sort of problem with video card/drivers.... I think. In fact the system shows there is two of everything - processor, vid card etc.

What is DriveCleaner? Is this part of the xp package or something I need to download?

Thanks
    Wayne

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

No, DC is a download.

And no, the AW won't be able to get online when running in Safe Mode--that refers to the fact that very few drivers are running, so everything is at Windows Default settings.

The AW systems I have worked on recently have been, well, sort of interesting. First they use nonstandard vid drivers to boost performance--not caring that folks won't reinstall their cards with this driver since it is either corrupted or gone.

Did that machine come with the XP disk? More importantly, is there a driver disk?

You may find yourself facing a reformat if this gets too sticky. Let us know how DC does--that'll remove BOTH vid cards.

Good luck,

Eric