close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Windows Media Player Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by GlockOpsFool, Jan 17, 2006.

1. GlockOpsFool

GlockOpsFool NRA Member

Suddenly, my media player won't burn to CD. I've received one error message that states that the CD/DVD burner cannot be located and I also get this one...

"Windows Media Player encountered an unknown error. This can occur when another program or operating system component encounters a problem but does not communicate the nature of the problem to the Player."

I have tried re-installing WM Player, upgrading it, and tried the system restore option with no luck.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. DM6

DM6 Libertarian

I've seen this problem quite a few times before, and unfortunately, its not simple to solve. Any number of things can cause this problem, from restrictive DRM to incompatible 3rd-party burning applications, to generally untracable problems.

It is rather distressing that you can't find a more specific error message than what you have, so you'll have to begin by trying some general remedies.

First, run Windows Update, and install any optional components related to optical disc writing.

Secondly, you can force an integrity check of all system libraries by inserting your Windows CD into the drive, and typing "sfc /SCANNOW" into the run prompt.

If neither of these fix your problem, you'll have to begin looking for more specific causes. Can you remember any new software you've installed lately? Have you inserted any audio CDs into your desktop that had not been inserted before the problems began? Has your computer begun acting strangely in any other way? Can you write any discs with other, third party burning software?

Unfortunately, when a major function fails in such a generic manner, it can be difficult for people not physically at the machine to diagnose the specific cause of the problem.

3. GlockOpsFool

GlockOpsFool NRA Member

I followed your instructions, but in reverse order. It turns out that the Windows Update fixed the problem. I thought I had Windows Update set to check for updates weekly, but I was mistaken.

It appears to have corrected the problem. Thank you very much for your assistance. ;c