close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Windows Help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Tanman, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Tanman

Tanman

I just loaded windows, boots to the windows XP screen then reboots the PC, wtf?

Then it will load up to the boot menu like I restarted it by force. It will however boot into safe mode.

2. pyblood

pyblood

Can we get a little more info?
    Is this a new built or just a new install?

3. Tanman

Tanman

Old machine, had a less legit copy of XP on it, then Linux but now an honest to God off the shelf copy of windows xp home (full version not upgrade). Has a 250gb hd and a 20gb hd, soyo board, Athlon 1.6ghz chip, DVD player. What freaks me out is that it boots into safe mode, also I have tried installing it on both hard drives, I think it might be a hardware issue.

4. pyblood

pyblood

It does sound like a hardware problem. I recommend removing everything but the necessities. Those are the keyboard, mouse, monitor, and HD. See if the PC won’t boot into windows then. If it does, then you know that you have a piece of faulty hardware. I would then add each piece of hardware back one by one until it starts that restarting stuff again.

I would recommend just disconnecting the floppy drive (if it has one) first. I have seen them make your PC do some funky stuff.

5. pyblood

pyblood

I forgot to add:

What about memory. Do you have any known good memory to see if the RAM is the culprit?

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

You can also makea Memtestx86 boot floppy with another machine and use that to test your RAM.

Sounds like a card or other peripheral that XP doesn't have a driver for.

BTW, XP Upgrade is exactly the same as XP Full--except you save $100 or more for having an earlier OS.