close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Windows crash

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by groverglock, Apr 17, 2006.

1. groverglock

groverglock Guns & Hoses

Help!!
    I have little control over Windows XP.

The problem started with the address bar locking up when I clicked on the drop down arrow. I could not close Windows Xp by clicking on the X in the upper right hand corner.

I updated my Norton Virus scan to 2006 version and went to install it, and the computer said i must uninstall it to do a live update.

I could not uninstall it so I went back with a restore point from before I downloaded it. The computer says it is still in the progtam files and won't open a new copy. The restore function does not work, the screen stays blan. The search function will not work, the screen simply shows the microsoft dog but the fields will not populate.

Any suggestions?

2. jack19512

jack19512

Have you tried to uninstall in safe mode? Also, have you tried to do a windows repair?

3. groverglock

groverglock Guns & Hoses

I am not familiar with how to do either.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Microsoft Patch Causing Lockups, Crashes

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20060415/tc_cmp/185302896

Fri Apr 14, 2:06 PM ET

One Microsoft security patch released this week is causing Internet Explorer lock-ups, Windows hangs and system crashes for some IT administrators and partners.

MS06-015 is one of five patches Microsoft released Tuesday to correct, among other things, a "critical" Windows Explorer vulnerability that hackers could use to execute code remotely.

But that security patch contains a new file — named Verclsid.exe — that conflicts with Hewlett-Packard printers, scanners and cameras, one Microsoft security official acknowledged on Microsoft's online technical support site.

"We've determined that the majority of the issues people are having with MS06-015/KB908531 are due to a bad interaction between the security update and a software component included with various HP hardware devices, including but not limited to printers, scanners, and cameras," wrote Steven Hui, a Microsoft spokesperson on TechNet who fielded questions Thursday from numerous irritated customers and IT administrators on its online technical help site.

A myriad of users flocked to Microsoft's online technical support site for help late this week claiming to numerous problems including systems IE lock-ups that occurred after installing the MS06-015 patch. The issues did not clear up even after reboot, some said.

Some claimed the issues were not isolated to systems connected to HP hardware.

In many cases, the problem required users and partners to uninstall the patch or perform system restores to get systems back up and running.

"Customers are reporting IE stops working and numerous instances of verclsid.exe show up,'" said Brian Bergin, president of Terabyte Computers. "To fix yet another security issue with IE, [Microsoft] has verclsid.exe they've introduced but obviously didn't test."

"If you right click on the desktop now it freezes," said another source who asked not to be named.

Microsoft's Hui recommended customers modify the registry or shut down the hardware process to avoid the conflict, but later noted that the second option would only work for users currently logged-in.

It remains unclear how widespread the problem is for business users and consumers that downloaded the security update.

At least four Microsoft solution providers contacted by CRN could not identify any problems in their user bases. One security ISV close to Microsoft speculated that the problems may be traced back to the non-security changes made to the ActiveX controls in the IE cumulative patch [MS06-013] but he could not confirm that.

Microsoft did not comment on this story as of press time. As the software giant investigates the problem, however, some customers have taken Microsoft's initial advice or came up with their own workarounds.

On the TechNet Web site, for example, one user suggested simply renaming the "verclsid.exe" file to another name before installation to prevent problems.

Microsoft said the Verclsid.exe file in MS06-015 is used to verify a COM object before it is instantiated by Windows Explorer. The security patch is for
    Windows 2000 SP4,
    Windows XP, Windows Server 2003.

Yet another user suggested turning off all processes using the Windows Task Manager or the auto-update (AU) process altogether and wait a week before installing patches.

Microsoft disagreed with that solution and said it is important to re-install MS06-015 because it fixes a critical security vulnerability and pointed out that disabling Auto Update leaves computers unprotected.

One solution provider said he is following that advice but noted that some customers are thinking about shutting off Microsoft's Auto Update feature to prevent downloading security patches that disable their systems.

"We're recommending they leave AU enabled but they're understandably frustrated. For some customers this is the second time in the past year an update from Microsoft has left them unable to work," said Terabyte's Bergin. "Some have said they're done with auto updates and want it disabled to let others to beta test Microsoft fixes before they install them.

5. groverglock

groverglock Guns & Hoses

How do I uninstall the update?

6. groverglock

groverglock Guns & Hoses

I spent over 2 hours on the phone with MS Tech Support.

We uninstalled the updates and edited the registry and Voila - the computer works but still has problems.

The recovery points are gone and the recovery page will not load. The search feeature will load a part of the page but will not populate the fields.

Oh well, another day!!!

7. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

You need to take off and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I've had exactly zero luck with any sort of registry restore. It's always been buggy and annoying when the registry and the the data on the hard drive don't match. Some stuff is sorta half there, some older registry entries refer to files that have been replaced with newer versions. Add to that hand registry editing and you're stewed.

If you can't live with whatever quirks have appeared, I'd plan to spend a Saturday soon reinstalling from scratch. A supreme expert might be able to cobble it back together, but it'd probably take as long as reinstalling, and cost a lot more.

8. groverglock

groverglock Guns & Hoses

I agree. Too many things are corrupted now this "update" has ravaged my computer. I am running Foxfire for the time being. When I get the time, I will do a rull reinstall on the computer.

9. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Using Netscape, Mozilla or Firefox did not save me from such a fate as you describe.

Going to kill the patch ASAP and send MS the bill for my time, both my laptop and one desktop crash after the "patch" was installed.

This kind of reminds me of the Squirrel in the "Ice Age 2" trailer. He keeps putting his feet and finally nose into the leaking holes until he get blown off the face of the glacier!

Freeking Microsoft using us for Beta testers again and they didn't even give us a kiss to make it legit!

:soap: :shocked: :steamed: :burn: :moonie: :50cal: :brickwall: :rant: :sad: :deadhorse: :miff: :impatient: :notlistening: :woohoo:

10. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

or, you could patch it once with the ultimate patch...

;)

11. fastlane

fastlane

Here the PH# for the problem caused by this update, 1.866.727.2338. Good luck getting any help from Microsoft, they are saying that it is not a problem caused by the update.:soap:

12. NGWT

NGWT

13. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

14. SKeefe

SKeefe

In the future, if you have problems like this, this may help.

This is how I figured out this problem on one of the computers here at the office.

As soon as I noticed the computer locking up, I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and looked at what processes were running. I noticed verclsid.exe was running multiple times, and not being familiar with it, I searched the internet for it. That instantly brought me to the information that it was part of a problematic MS update. I then tried renaming the file to verclsid.old as was suggested, but since that only worked for a couple of days, I ended up removing MS update KB908531 by going to Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs.

15. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

This effort could result in creating possible issues with over 20 applications and other patches that may be damaged if this advice is followed. :shocked:

Sorry, no thanks I'll see if there is another route first! :freak: