Windows Clients on Linux File Servers

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by berniew, Mar 15, 2005.

1. berniew

berniew Liberty

All,

Just looking at some help to point me in the right direction. I am fairly decent on Windows, but basically a newbie on Linux. Someone I know is running Windows clients which connect to a Linux file server. He claims they are having an issue with files being deleted on the server because of the Windows client machines. Something to do with 'checkpoints' and 'profiling'.

Any thoughts? Comments?

- Bernie

2. bohr

bohr rm -rf /

What distro is the server? Maybe there is a cronjob running that flushes certain directories or file types.

3. berniew

berniew Liberty

Pretty sure it is Fedora

4. bohr

bohr rm -rf /

How do the clients connect to the server? Samba? Ftp? Need more info on the configuration. Interesting that they would be deleting files. Are the files being deleted then replaced or are the files simply being deleted without being replaced? Strange ;b

5. berniew

berniew Liberty

Samba

6. bohr

bohr rm -rf /

How did they disable the roaming profiles in samba? To disable roaming profiles add the following line to smb.conf under the profile folder:

logon path = ""

They can also try upgrading to the latest stable samba. It sounds like a Windows problem, but the clients may be getting mixed signals from the server.

Try

HERE

and ask the experts. Sorry I couldn't help you out more. If you find the solution please let me know. Thanks.