Windows 7 upgrade question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by don51181, Feb 15, 2010.

1. don51181

don51181

I upgrade from vista but I need to clear up my c drive. What are some good tip? I heard vista is still on my hard drive after my upgrade.

2. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

You're stuck w/ what you've got. Upgrading windows just modifies the existing code base (Vista). So, as long as you upgrade, you're going to have tons of Vista code left on in your system.

What you are looking for is a clean install. Back up your data, format the target partition, and install from boot. If you have an "upgrade only" Win7 disc, you won't even be able to do this as it isn't bootable.

3. area727

area727 G23

Yes, the best thing to do is a clean install of Windows 7 if possible.

4. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Problem number one.

You can install the full version of Win7 from the upgrade disc, M$ allows it according to their EULA. Back up your data and follow these instructions:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

Either option 1 (if you want to format your current drive) or option 2 (if you don't want to format) ... Option 3 will work but it's sub-optimal.

The above opinion is patently false.

5. Tongo

Tongo

The first rule about windows upgrade is don't do windows upgrades.

Always use the upgrade disk to do a full install. Your old CD/DVD will be used to qualify the upgrade. And before anyone else says it:

MS is teh debil! Linux 4 ever! Macs are cooler than eskimos!

And just so we're clear, I run linux on several of my servers, but can't stand it on the desktop.

6. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

Yeah, I was just screwing with him. Backing up his data is a TERRIBLE idea. And why format? Just have all the files living in harmony together singing kumbuya!

Any other stupid ideas you'd like to float?

7. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I was discussing the misinformation you were disseminating about the inability to do a clean install from an Upgrade Win7 disk. It's not only possible but also sanctioned by M$'s EULA ...

8. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

First, while you can get a clean install from an upgrade disk, it is not permitted by the EULA:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10388567-56.html
    Second: I did not say you couldn't do a clean install from a Win7 Upgrade disk. I said you couldn't do it from an UPGRADE ONLY disk. If it permits a full installation then it is by definition NOT upgrade only.

9. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Again, you're just, plain, wrong. If he has Vista he has a qualifying license. The entire OS is on the "Upgrade Only" disc.

I'm sorry you don't know what you're talking about, I truly am. Please stop interjecting wholly inaccurate opinions into conversations.

I do this stuff for a living and have 15 years of professional experience. Go read the link I posted, do a google search on the subject matter, the information is available if you'll stop fighting with other, more informed, people long enough to read it.

10. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

HKUSP is correct on this one. The Windows 7 upgrade disk allows a clean install of the OS provided you have a valid copy of XP or Vista on the computer already. If the hard drive is blank then it is not permitted but the OP said he has Vista, therefor he can install 7 cleanly.

11. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

I trust C-Net over you when it comes to MS's EULA. Sorry.

Also, your problem seems to be your grasp of English, not software. Either way, I don't care.

12. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

UTK, re-read what you quoted from C-Net. It says that if you DON'T have a previously installed windows OS. The OP does, therefor he CAN do a clean install.

13. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Frankly, I couldn't care less whose "opinion" you trust, I'm just trying to get you to stop confusing the OP with misinformation.

If you're ignorant about a technical subject the best thing to do is try to learn a little bit from others who may have some experience. Barring that, you might just want to stay out of the conversation.

14. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

The argument over the EULA is most entertaining! :rofl:

GPL rocks!

15. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

QFT!

I am not a M$ $lave, I just make a lot of money supporting their crapware.