Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids computer was installing updates last night when he hit the switch on his surge suppressor shutting the machine down. Now, it starts but won't run more that 3 or 4 minutes before the machine locks up.

Any ideas?

I know powering off during updates is very bad juju.

All the Best,
D. White

·
NRA Life Member
5,447 Posts
Can you rollback to an earlier update, let it stabilize, then re-run the updates?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Can you rollback to an earlier update, let it stabilize, then re-run the updates?
If you can't do this, meaning you can never log on to begin with:

Turn off the computer and then start it back up. Start pressing the F8 key once any type of activity hits your monitor. (About once per second).

You'll soon be given boot menu - Chose Safe Mode.

You might be given a variety of pop-up questions... Click OK until you are at a bare version of what the normal desktop looks like.

Once there, click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

Step through the wizard and when you are prompted for a date to restore to, choose the last date it worked (assuming it was within the past week). If you have something from two years ago don't do it!

The System Restore will basically roll back your operating system files to the date chosen. You should not lose any data files. Just remember that if you installed any programs or updates after the System Restore date they'll be wiped out.

I always wait a couple of weeks before installing their updates as I've spent countless hours rolling them back.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We can get to safe mode but the system restore options
haven't worked.

We've made a system disk now and it's running chkdsk.

Kids getting a very hard lesson in keeping a current backup.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Banned
30,493 Posts
It's also a very good idea to get a USB HD and make system images when your machine is working well. Then when you run into this kind of thing you can restore the drive to a good image.

Also set system restore to make regular restore points, and/or make them manually before making changes, like installing software, etc.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

We got his machine booted with a system disk
we downloaded of the internet.
It gave him the option to do a disk scan, which
we did. Took a few hours but once it was done
the machine booted.

After it booted he did a shutdown and noticed there
were updates to install. This time, it completed installing