Windows 7 End Of Life January 14

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dragline, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Dragline

Dragline

Windows 7 will enter its End of Life on Tuesday, January 14, 2020. After that date, Microsoft will no longer offer patches and security updates for Windows 7. That means that any bugs or problems still found in Windows 7 will never get fixed.

FullClip likes this.
  2. Dave514

Dave514

It also means that you must upgrade your server and all workstations to 8.1 or 10 if you want your electronic health records software company to even talk to you on the phone in the event of a problem that shuts down your business. 7 is no longer HIPAA compliant if it can't be updated for security.

The soonest my IT guy can HOPEFULLY get W10pro operating system installed is Feb 2 so let's hope nothing goes wrong in the meantime and that there are no troubles with the new OS running the current EHR and Billing softwares.

Thanks Microsoft.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020

3. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Windows is stupid. There are plenty of options for home use.

4. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Ha-Ha. That's what I have on this, my basement laptop. I don't even dare trying to upgrade to 10.

Dragline likes this.
  5. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Man, just get a Chromebook and set up a google account. Free storage, free Office type software, lots of bell & whistle apps to add in if want. Cost ya about $250 for a nice size one

EDIT ... And "oh" ... built in virus software, no charge. No charge for anything.

quasii likes this.
  6. quasii

quasii

Windows is a bugged, security holed artifact, which unfortunately, has handcuffed thousands of small business and large corporations into endless patches/upgrades and parasitic antivirus applications that are supposed to stop virus attacks in the first-place. OSX, Linux variants are far more secure and run cleaner, but the transition can be a painful process.

7. 20South

20South

Yeah - it’s all “free”. Except that you are the product.

treg, sonoma, Atomic Punk and 3 others like this.
  8. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Two ways.... mebee three .... to look at this....
    • Windows causes obsolescence of not only ($) software, but ($) hardware too.
    • Gates is one of the most hated (by White Hat) people on earth, so it's natural to damage his brainchild....Windows
    • Windows demands control from the Kernal>up, and faster ($) multilevel CPUs and massive ($) RAM, just to load and run it's Leviathonic(*) lines of the code.
    (* if you use my newly created word, you owe me $10/each use)

Slackinoff, quasii and FullClip like this.
  9. JK-linux

JK-linux

I keep waiting for someone to come out with a "x86/x64 on Power" virtualization solution.

10. Dragline

Dragline

My wife has an older laptop running W 7. Yesterday, just for laughs, I checked it to see if there were any ‘important’ updates.
    Ha! There were 66! The download and installation took all of the evening, overnight, and the better part of this morning.
    I had a feeling she wasn’t really bothering to keep the thing up to date. But I bought her a Chromebook a couple years ago and since then she only uses that and her tablet anyway.

11. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

I agree, and cared before.

"Before" most of us have now had more imptnt info than what we buy show up on the dark web from health care insurance, credit rating company and tons more successful hacks

12. wlkjr

wlkjr

And soon 10 will be obsolete and we'll screwed again. It's a never ending cycle. XP had everything I'd ever need and was easier for me to navigate.

misunderestimated likes this.
  13. ARP

ARP

So I received the blue screen warning today when I turned on the 'puter. So that means that my machine is old. I have a Chromebook I bought last year, it does just about everything I need it to do, run it off the home wifi and also the hotel wifi.

One thing I have not yet figured out. I watch NHL hockey games on a stream to live site and it runs flawless on the chromebook. I have an hdmi cord that I plug into the 55" tv, I can get the sound of the game to play thru the TV, but I can not get the picture to come up. All I can get to show is the opening blue screen with icons. It leaves me kinda head scratching why. Is it because the chromebook is what it is and perhaps I need a laptop with hd to make it work? Additionally, can I get a larger monitor to use with the chromebook via a cable? Is it possible the hdmi cable is not the right one? Open for suggestions. My usage of the chromebook is about 95% entertainment 5% biz. Mainly it is a portable internet surf machine where I can bookmark stuff for further use.

14. ARP

ARP

Progress was made. I was able via settings on both the tv and chromebook to get some semblance of picture on the screen with sound. There was some type of magnification I was unaware of that was turned on, figured out how to turn that off. But still trying to get the game to a full screen.

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Well there's probably a couple of ways to do this. Are you watching these NHL games in a web browser or some app?

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

You really think Microsoft is immune from this?

17. ARP

ARP

https://www.stream2watch.ws/

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Do you have an Android TV box by chance? Can you cast it from Google Chrome?

Edit: Nevermind, I just tried that... doesn't seem to work very well.

19. ARP

ARP

My sister gave me the address and she watches the games in Kazakstan, on her tv via her notebook. I am fine watching it on my chromebook, but I would like get the whole thing to work on my y/o 55" Samsung 4k tv. I know it is possible, just have to get the right configuration.

20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

No offense, but in that scenario, why would you wait until the last minute?.. Win 7's EOL date has been known for a year.