Windows 11 what's the verdict?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Railsplitter, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Should I get Windows 10 or 11 I read that Microsoft only supports the newest operating system, I have heard little about 11.

2. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Scuttle is that 10 is the last rendition. There will be uncountable "Service Packs" if true.
    I haven't heard of an 11

railfancwb, Willard, Paul53 and 3 others like this.

3. peng

peng

Paul53 likes this.
  4. napp32

napp32

I guess I'll opt out of this discussion. No more Windows for me. I'm typing this on my new Chromebook.

gwalchmai and Out West like this.
  5. jeepdawg

jeepdawg

Agreed, haven't heard about any Windows 11 and i'm not sure the slow adoption rate of Windows 10 would prompt them to roll it out too quickly. If the subscription thing is anything like Office 365 i think my employer will hold off as long as possible.
    Typing this on a cheap Dell laptop running Linux (which is free). I make my living off M$ though, so i ain't really complaining.

6. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

I am having some issues with youtube videos not planning in their HD mode on my Windows 7 so I have been doing some research and saw windows 11 mentioned?

Any thoughts on why my youtube videos will not play above the 360 picture quality?

railfancwb likes this.
  7. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

Only back to 7. Before that, Sayanara.

8. MrMr1961

MrMr1961

I'll stick with Win 7 until the wheels fall off. Then I'll switch to Linux. Microsoft, much like Google, Apple and all the other big players got way too much control over our lives. One day I may even skip the cell phone slave crap.

Willard, aircarver, cougar_ml and 4 others like this.
  9. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

exactly, they are still supporting 7

Railsplitter likes this.
  10. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

There's no Windows 11 on the horizon. Adopters of Windows 10 will pay Microsoft to be beta testers in perpetuity.

Paul53, FullClip and stick430 like this.
  11. stick430

stick430

And because they push out new breaking changes (they call them 'features') to different sets of users at different times, when you search for a solution online, all the (duplicated) answers from Microsoft MVPs 'Vijay' and 'Sandeep' are still completely wrong, but now they are wrong for slightly different reasons for each group of beta testers (they call them 'customers').

12. Need4Speed

Need4Speed

Can't tell you how many system restores I have done since I have been using Windows 10. I'd say at least 50% of the time one of the "major updates" gets rammed down my throat I am greeted with a system crash. There goes an hour of my life. At least it is recoverable, I have not had to wipe and start over yet.

stick430 likes this.
  13. stick430

stick430

I always say that Dave Cutler is my hero in tech, this is the guy who basically drove the development of Windows NT through to XP. In those days he would lose it and punch the wall if someone introduced stupid errors into the main development branch of the code, especially if it was through lack of communication or absence of basic integration testing. The result was some of the most stable operating systems ever released.

They've now turned that on its head and each development group within Microsoft seem to be deliberately releasing untested code (or at least you could call in un-integrated) on the basis that errors will be picked up through automatic error-reporting by the OS (this is why they want you to leave all the error reporting and snooping turned on), or through user feedback.

This wouldn't be so bad if there was some sort of endgame they were aiming for e.g. with Wikipedia the idea is that if an article is bad or incorrect, eventually it will be revised to a state of perfection. But with Windows 10 they will always be introducing new features and changes, which will always initially be broken so the OS will never ever work correctly, and this seems to be by design.

AFAIK Dave Cutler still works at Microsoft in some capacity (Azure?) and I often wonder what he must think of this state of affairs.

plp and The Machinist like this.
  14. plp

plp

I remember upgrading my desktop on recommendation of friends to handle NT, even though I didn't really need a server. It ran like a champ.

Then I went on the road about the time XP was released, and bought a laptop with that OS. Best product they ever produced. Running Netscape Navigator as my browser and Outlook for email, everybody played well together and could actually get work done, as opposed to having to constantly be my own IT guy.

Today, I just accept I'm going to lose half a day every time Windows installs an update.

Willard, stick430 and Need4Speed like this.
  15. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I put Manjaro on my older Dell Ultrabook. It runs like a champ and does everything I need to do. I still have a Win10 laptop for some legacy stuff I'm keeping but I don't see any real future for me and M$.

That makes me very happy. :supergrin:

16. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

This has never happened to me on either of my Dell desktops. Problems with Windows 10 seem to be to a large extent dependent on the specific computer.

17. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Linux updates / upgrades are very quick compared to Windows. They don't seem to break as much, either. I haven't seen one break an installation yet, but I'm sure it happens. OTOH, I've seen Win updates tie up machines for a full day, and with no feedback the user doesn't know if it's broken, downloading slow, smoking dope, or what, and the only "recovery" is to start the whole process over again.

18. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

After working for the last two years as a hacker and making a living off of hacking into Windows systems, I'll forever avoid it as my main system OS for the rest of my life. Now I only run Windows in a virtual machine for testing purposes, and use Mac OS and Linux for everything else. If you can't afford a Mac, get a Chromebook, or if you have a little bit of skill install Linux Mint on an older system. Sure, I hack into Linux and Mac OS systems too, but the defaults on Windows are too wide open and invite you to get hacked. Linux and Mac are more locked down by default.

Your Windows system by default will happily send your username and password hash to anyone on your network, including public wireless networks, and will even send your password hash out over the internet if an attacker embeds a UNC link in their email. In that case, all you have to do is open the email and Outlook on Windows will try to connect to the SMB share referenced in the email to download the picture. Antivirus doesn't detect this because it's a "feature", not a bug. Some corporate firewalls will block SMB authentication to the Internet, but most don't by default.

When the SMB server receives the request, it asks for authentication and your computer will send your password hash. I usually crack up to 40 percent or so of all of those password hashes. I gain access to people's corporate networks all the time using this method: Email with SMB image tag -> Victim opens email in Outlook on Windows -> Outlook attempts to retrieve image file -> SMB server requests authentication -> victim sends username and password hash -> hacker cracks password -> hacker finds your corporate VPN, Citrix, or Outlook Web Access portal and gains access.

If I'm on your internal network already via physical access or by email phishing a user, I don't even have to crack your password, just forward the hash to other systems and gain access without knowing the password. This is because another Windows default is to not sign authentication requests, allowing them to be forged and relayed.

Windows is wonderful because it's insecure default features make sure I'll always have a job.

army_eod and Railsplitter like this.
  19. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

I question if what you saw was Explorer 11.
    Just thinking. I don't know what generation E is on.

20. slackercruster

slackercruster

Born L.A. - NYC 2nd Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
    Hate 10, terrible. Much prefer my older 7 and on. 10 was a new low for MS.

The Machinist likes this.