close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Windham Weaponry

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Ryan-17, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Ryan-17

Ryan-17

Im on the search for my first Ar-15 and I was at the LGS today (sportsman's warehouse) and they have the S&W M&P sport for $650. The next step up was a S&W M&P OP which is a flat top AR for $950. but then the guy showed me a Windham weaponry AR-15 that looked good and seem to be pretty much what I wanted for just over $800 bucks.

but I have never heard of that brand before. anyone recommend them? or recommend something else?

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

It's the company that took over the old Bushmaster plant. I believe one of the owners or board members is the former CEO of Bushmaster, pre-Freedom Group buying them out. Still pretty new to the market, haven't heard much on quality or reliability yet.

Edit: Yup. Founder of Bushmaster reopened the plant and hired back most to all of the employees that were left jobless after Bushy got bought out. Link here.

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr SAC trained warrior CLM

I've yet to hear any reviews about Windham.
    The Bushmasters of yesteryear were outstanding!

4. Ryan-17

Ryan-17

Yea I read about it being the old owner of bushmaster, It seems maybe they are still too new. but at the same time if its a company owned by the old bushmaster guy then he has got to know what he is doing right?

859.99 for a complete AR is not a bad price, and I think they have a lifetime warranty, so it might be worth a try?

5. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

I was looking at one when I was searching for an AR. Pardon the pun but I just couldn't pull the trigger on the buy. Just the fact that I haven't heard from anyone having one or even shooting one. I didn't want to be the guinea pig.

6. LibertyPatriot

LibertyPatriot

Local LE supply had a couple on the shelf but I didn't even look at them because I hadn't heard the crew here talking about them much.

7. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

I bought the Windham flat top at a gunshow this past weekend from my "local" gunshop that had a table set up.
    I paid $827 + tax.
    They had the same rifle at Wal-Mart for $800 + tax.
    Oh well, I supported the local shop.
    I ran about 100 rounds through it without a hitch.
    The trigger is better than the one on my DD, no kidding.
    The bolt looks to be properly staked (looks the same to me as DD), but that is in the eye of an AR novice.
    I like the rifle.

8. Ryan-17

Ryan-17

Thanks for the feedback!!!!!

9. K. Foster

K. Foster

Before I would buy that, I’d look at Spikes, PSA and BCM. For a little over $100 more you could find a Colt

10. Ryan-17

Ryan-17

I was just looking at stag arms and the seem reasonably priced at just over $900 bucks, but I haven't seen any at the local shops. are they online only? there are so many Ar options out there my head is starting to hurt

11. RyanNREMTP

Just wait till you have a collection of furniture sitting in a box in your closet from trying something out and not liking it or finding something better. Then your head will be spinning.

12. cyphertext

cyphertext

Just like I told you in your other thread....the more you increase your budget, the more options you have. And once you cross that $800 - $900 barrier, there are many other options for "just a little more".

13. Ryan-17

Ryan-17

late last night I think I remember the sales guy at the local gun shop saying that the windham weaponry AR 15's were not top notch as far as "finish" goes. I remember him showing me the finish of the windham and there were a few blemishes and kind of looked like poor finish work. I will have to go back and confirm. also one of the shops was closed yesterday so I will have to go see what they have to offer.

14. RyanNREMTP

Oh really? One of my local gun shops they were talking about how the Windham was the best thing since sliced bread. :rofl:

15. Ryan-17

Ryan-17

yea seriously i remember the guy showing me the front sight and it looked like crap. ill try and go back and take a picture of it.

16. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

I was in my local gun store yesterday and they had several of these rifles in stock. Of course, they were about $100 more than you can buy them anywhere else. I believe they had them for $950 and change. :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  17. RyanNREMTP

This same shop had a really nice looking AR on the shelf. Had everything I was looking for except for it had a chrome barrel. I asked to look at it and asked what brand it was. Employee said it was Olympic Arms as she was handing it to me. I said no thanks and walked over to the bolt action rifles.

18. majette

majette

dont fall into that 'oly sucks' crap. mine eats everything, is extremely accurate, and made me a believer. mine had been on the shelf for years, fondled and dry fired with the upper swung open causing the bolt catch to stick. an email to the admin/oly employee from the oly forum had a replacement from west coast to east in two days. great customer service and i would purchase another or recommend one without hesitation.

they were the first colt clone and have been in the market over 30 years.

editor of soldier of fortune magazine had an olympic ar with over 100K rounds through it. tony rumore of tromix has a preban ar with over 65K rounds through it.

olympic has made parts for other, 'name brand' ar manufacturers.

olympic was the first company to produce flat-top upper receivers, free float aluminum hand guards, pistol caliber conversions, and ar15 based pistols.

they are still going strong so they must be doing something right.

19. country85

country85

One of the old owners of bushmaster re bought the old plant and hired all the employees that Remington layed off is the story I heard, seem like good rifles shot one or two of em

20. Ryan-17

Ryan-17

was it a chrome barrel or a chrome lined barrel? I thought chrome lined barrels were a good thing? why would you not want one?