close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winchester white box factory reloads?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by swimmerglock, Jun 21, 2012.

1. swimmerglock

swimmerglock

Wincherster White box 115 grain fmj 9mm ammo does not seem to preform as well in my G19 as, say, remington UMC. This morning at the range I had at least 5 "stovepipes" or failure to eject while shooting WWB ammo. No it was not "limp wrist" and I must have gone through about 150 rounds. As I was leaving I mentioned the stovepiping and they asked what ammo I was using. They told me that WWB is actually factory reloads and that was the reason for the stovepiping. Actually, I never heard this before. I thought that factory reloads had to say so on the box. My first thought was that this was, well just talk. Since I am a newbie here I wanted to get some expert opinions on the subject. By the way, the range sells a variety of ammo including WWB. Any thoughts? Thanks from a newbie.
    Fred

2. Salmoneye

Salmoneye

They do, but they call it 'remanufactured'...

Pretty sure WWB is all 'new' brass/ammo...

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Somebody is pulling your leg. WWB is *not* reloads.
    I ran a bunch of that through my gun in 2009 before I started reloading myself, never had a problem. But if your gun is a Gen4... that double RSA is stiffer than the Gen3 RSAs, will need a stout load to work it.

4. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Never had an issue with WWB through any of my 19's.

5. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I've seen a few guys on here recommend running a few hundred rounds of 147gr ammo through Gen4 19s before running the 115 WWB. Helps break in the RSA.

I personally do not have a 19 of any gen to say if it works or not.

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

You may have had a bad box of Winchester USA. It's factory new, and usually pretty good stuff.

7. bam1131

bam1131

Never had an issue in my 17 gen4 with WWB.

8. DarkShooter

DarkShooter

Never had a problem with many thousands of WWB 115gr FMJ in my Gen3 17 or 19. Its what I shoot most because its the cheapest around here. But, others have had issues with this ammo. Maybe ive just been lucky.

9. tcruse

tcruse

WWB is good range ammo, hotter than UMC or federal. 1190fps. I have used lot of the stuff in gen 3 26 and gen 4 17. Not one bad round yet.

10. tacmc6

tacmc6

Shot hundreds of rounds through our G19's. Only a hard primer (say less than 10) over time. Put them back in and they fire. Remember they are just for practice.

11. stopatrain

stopatrain Lifetime Member

Never a problem here.

12. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

WWB is defiantly not reloaded ammunition.

Shot 250 rounds of WWB through my Gen 3 G19 this past Tuesday. Not one stoppage. Plan on shooting another 100 rounds tomorrow through my G17.

I've fired tons of the stuff, and in contrast, it works quite well for what it is. Save for a few anomalies (a curled case mouth here and there, a single round too long in OAL to let the slide go fully into battery, and one time an incomplete cartridge with primed case but no powder/projectile loaded) I have had no real issue with it's actual function in any of my handguns.

In fact, my uncles Class III UZI functions best with the stuff. :supergrin:

13. JJJJr Shabadoo

JJJJr Shabadoo Doc

Well, since you're a newbie, let me give you some of the best advice around. Most "experts" at gun shops , including (especially?) the folks behind the counter, have no idea what the heck they're talking about half the time. They'll spin a good story for you and it'll sound like great wisdom, but it's usually something they heard from Billy Bob down the street and has no semblance to reality.

And, as has been said, WWB is not reloaded.

If your G19 is new, it may just need a bit of break in before it'll reliably shoot underpowered ammo like WWB or PMC (mine did). From now until the next time you go shooting, manually rack the slide several hundred times. My first time out my Gen 4 G19 choked on PMC every two or three shots. After hand wracking ~500 times, it has been 100% reliable with everything I've fed it.

14. ignantmike

ignantmike

my gen 3 g19 has eaten wwb ammo its whole life.....with some others thrown in for good measure.....i think it's had a jam once....can't remember....now it's all reload's that i make.....wwb is pretty good....i prefer the push of heavier bullets.....

15. swimmerglock

swimmerglock

Thanks guys. You just confirmed what I suspected all along. I agree with the comment about the "guys behind the counter". I will try some hotter loads and see how they work. Despite the stovepiping I love the gun. It is just what I wanted, a carry gun that take to the range and didnt feel like a small toy gun. Thanks again for all the advice.
    Fred

16. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

WWB is made for WalMart and it is done as cheaply as possible.
    In the past I let customers bring ammo to shoot through my machine guns as long it was not reloaded (remanufactured) ammo. Of cause often it was WWB and I found crunched up cartridges to simply just the projectile itself in the box.
    Not often but sometimes you would feel differences in the power too. So there are discrepancies in the powder charges.
    I actually tried to reload WWB brass myself and it is so thin, that you can set a bullet on the cartridge.

So if it does not work in your gun a 100%, don't feel bad.
    It is the WWB and you get what you pay for!

17. milagrobeanfield

milagrobeanfield

the first time I ran a box of WWB (purchased at Walmart) through my Glock 17 Gen 4, I had a squib load that left the bullet in my barrel. Haven't used WWB since. TargetsportsUSA sells 1000 cartridge cases of Federal American Eagle for $236 with free shipping.

18. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

I have given up purchasing anything with the winchester name on it,I have been burned to many times by their lack of quality control,YMMV. SJ 40

19. mingaa

mingaa

WWB is not reload or reman - it's NIB. I did just pull a couple of boxes for a closer look though I've shot it for years WITHOUT a problem, ever. As stated - at many ranges and gun shops you may need Wellies (waders in some) for all the BS. Hang out for a few more minutes and they'll tell you about the good stuff—that just happens to be on their shelves right now. Oh sure it costs more than that crap on line that you can't see or touch and the big box stores - we'll they are just numb nuts retailers - not like us, the gun experts...

I can tell you this. There are more accurate, consistent rounds than the 115 WWB but it falls in the acceptable range for practice ammo in 9mm 115gr. based on what I've tested and IMHO, of course!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  20. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

White box is brand new stuff. What is lacking is QC. they are making and selling all they can. Go with Fed if you want cheap reliable ammo