Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have a question for everyone. I have been buying the 230gr Ranger T series for a long time, so I know what that round looks like.

With the .40 S&W Ranger T series, I have only bought them twice, and both times were from different vendors. Both times I purchased both 165 and 180gr loads. The first time I noticed that the 165 and 180gr looked different around the hollowpoint cavity. The 180gr load looked like the petals around the hollowpoint were thicker than the 165gr, thus making the 165gr look like it had little bit wider hollowpoint.

Now, a few weeks ago, I bought the .40 S&W Ranger T series in both 165 and 180gr loads. What took me by surprise was that the two different loads looked exactly the same at the hollowpoint. If I didn't have a scale, I would not have known which was which if I put them in a pile. So, I don't understand which is the correct, newest/enhanced version of the T series. Also, all of the boxes did say T-Series, and not the old SXT.

I pulled the bullets out of their cases, and obviously the 180gr is a bit longer because it's heavier. But, other than that, this last purchase of Ranger T Series look exactly identical at the hollowpoint.

I know that there are a lot of you guys that love the Ranger T series round, in both weights. If you could look at what you have and let me know, for example is your 180gr petals thicker at the hollowpoint than your 165gr that would be great to know. Pictures if you can would be more than welcome if you can easily do it. I called Winchester the other day, and sent phots, so hopefully I can get this figured out.

Thanks again in advance everyone.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I only have 165gr, but I will tell you the hollow point is a little different than the ones I have had for over seven years. WW probably tinkers with the bullet design now and then. I does not worry me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only have 165gr, but I will tell you the hollow point is a little different than the ones I have had for over seven years. WW probably tinkers with the bullet design now and then. I does not worry me.
Ya, it's not a big worry to me, but I just wanted to see what is the newest version. It seems now they are making the hollowpoint of the 180gr identical to the 165gr, where as before, the 180gr Ranger T had a thicker hollowpoint than the 165gr version. I dunno...

·
Code-7A KUZ769
3,251 Posts
I checked my two exemplars from my collection.

My 165SXT T-Series has a wider HP at the meplat of the bullet, but the 180SXT has a deeper cavity.

Mind you, my rounds ARE NOT the newest style T-Series SXT in which the bullet pedals are supposed to stay fully expanded and horizontal (unlike the previous generation's pedals that fold back along side the bullet shank with the "talon" tips pointing upwards and out).

·
Registered
29,589 Posts
Here are a pair of 180gr RA40T rounds.

The SXT RA40T is on the left and the new style T-Series RA40T is on the right. Notice the visible difference in the size/shape of the nose cavities and the way the front of the jacket petals are shaped/cut.

A pair of older SXT 180's on the left and the new style T-Series 180's on the right.

Here are the older SXT RA40T 180gr & the SXT RA40TA 165gr rounds (180 on left & 165 on right). You can see some difference between the ends of the petals inside the cavities.

Sorry, but I don't have any of the new style T-Series RA40TA 165gr loads. We quit using the 165gr loads several years ago and haven't ordered any of the new style middle weight loads.

Just out of curiosity, why are you spending so much effort on this question?

It wouldn't be surprising if minor differences existed among different production runs, either because of the sharpness of the cutters at different times, or because of any minor revisions introduced by the engineers as production continues.

While I usually inspect the rounds I load into my magazines for any obvious potential QC issues, I don't minutely look for little differences from one production lot/case to the next and wonder what it might mean downrange. I trust the bullet makers to offer the best product they feel will meet the demands of the users, and that might mean some occasional revisions and/or changes in components.

FWIW, there were distinct color variations in the brass primer cups between these 3 different loads when I pulled the boxes to get rounds for the pictures. :tongueout:

·
Code-7A KUZ769
3,251 Posts
Fine work there fastbolt. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are a pair of 180gr RA40T rounds.

The SXT RA40T is on the left and the new style T-Series RA40T is on the right. Notice the visible difference in the size/shape of the nose cavities and the way the front of the jacket petals are shaped/cut.

A pair of older SXT 180's on the left and the new style T-Series 180's on the right.

Here are the older SXT RA40T 180gr & the SXT RA40TA 165gr rounds (180 on left & 165 on right). You can see some difference between the ends of the petals inside the cavities.

Sorry, but I don't have any of the new style T-Series RA40TA 165gr loads. We quit using the 165gr loads several years ago and haven't ordered any of the new style middle weight loads.

Just out of curiosity, why are you spending so much effort on this question?

It wouldn't be surprising if minor differences existed among different production runs, either because of the sharpness of the cutters at different times, or because of any minor revisions introduced by the engineers as production continues.

While I usually inspect the rounds I load into my magazines for any obvious potential QC issues, I don't minutely look for little differences from one production lot/case to the next and wonder what it might mean downrange. I trust the bullet makers to offer the best product they feel will meet the demands of the users, and that might mean some occasional revisions and/or changes in components.

FWIW, there were distinct color variations in the brass primer cups between these 3 different loads when I pulled the boxes to get rounds for the pictures. :tongueout:
Fastbolt,

You have answered my question to perfection!! You notice the old SXT 180gr, they look different than the new 180gr Ranger T Series round. I really appreciate all of the time that took you to take those pictures, and they are of very high quality. Some really awesome work there my friend.

The reason I asked this is because I have dealt with the Ranger T-Series ammo only twice in the .40 S&W load. The first time I ordered 165gr and 180gr, and I must have gotten the older version of the 180gr load. Then that store ran out of them, so I orderered from somebody different, and the 180gr hollowpoint cavity looked differnt from the first place I had bought them. It got me thinking that one of the two had to be the newest/enhanced version, but WHICH one?

After your much elaborate and amazing photography, I can now see that the latest 180gr Ranger T-Series I purchased are the newest! That's why I have been really wondering about this question, that's all. Everyone wants the newest and latest stuff, right:tongueout:.

Thanks again, Fastbolt. That's why you are known as one of the best people to turn to for any kind of advice, or questions.

·
Registered
29,589 Posts
De nada guys.

While I appreciate your comments about the pictures, they aren't as well done as I might wish. I'm still using a fairly old camera instead of the new one my kids gave me for Christmas (which I'm slowly trying to figure out).

It probably doesn't help that I'm taking the pictures through the not-always-clean magnifying lens of my illuminated bench lamp, too.

Sometimes it's hard to discuss the SXT/T-Series because of the way different folks like to focus on the different language used on the boxes (product description versus symbol codes, for example).

Hotpig is actually much more familiar with the details on any given day, since I'm just a user and not a seller. My questions to the LE rep & distributor are actually fairly spread out over time.

The boxes of 180gr loads I used have the language displayed by those in this picture:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
De nada guys.

While I appreciate your comments about the pictures, they aren't as well done as I might wish. I'm still using a fairly old camera instead of the new one my kids gave me for Christmas (which I'm slowly trying to figure out).

It probably doesn't help that I'm taking the pictures through the not-always-clean magnifying lens of my illuminated bench lamp, too.

Sometimes it's hard to discuss the SXT/T-Series because of the way different folks like to focus on the different language used on the boxes (product description versus symbol codes, for example).

Hotpig is actually much more familiar with the details on any given day, since I'm just a user and not a seller. My questions to the LE rep & distributor are actually fairly spread out over time.

The boxes of 180gr loads I used have the language displayed by those in this picture:

The funny thing is, is that both times I purchased the 180gr T-Series, the box flap said T-Series both times. Perhaps the old ones I got the first time were when they just started putting the SXT into the T-Series box?
Interesting, and an amazing thankyou to you, Fastbolt, for your time, effort, and really nice photography!!!

·
Registered
29,589 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they used the older packaging when shipping a LE order. Hotpig would be better able to ofter some insight into what he's seen or has learned when he ordered ammo.

Dunno.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts