Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Glock 29 that I CHL carry hunting, hiking and to and from those events. I loved the Winchester Silvertip load when it was still available. I have finally exhausted the last of my supply.
Are any of you aware of any currently available factory ammo that performs comparably? I have tried the Hornady options and they shoot well but seem to be designed for hunting rather than self defense levels of penetration.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts

·
Registered
33,049 Posts
If I were going to own and carry a 10mm for a retirement CCW weapon, my first choice would also be the excellent W-W 175gr STHP. It comes very close to duplicating the ballistics of the original 170gr/1300fps Norma load, albeit just a tad slower and with a 5gr heavier JHP bullet.

The company may treat it like their 145gr STHP .357MAG, though, meaning they may only make a production run of it once every couple of years.

Have you asked any of the local gun shops to check with their distributors to see if anyone has a case of it sitting in their warehouse?

Speer does offer a 200gr 10mm GDHP, advertised @ 1100fps. That's about 100fps slower than the original 10mm Norma (which may or may not mean anything substantive), but the GDHP bullet might be a better "performing" bullet than the original JHP (Sierra?) Norma used, and it's in current production (listed in Gold Dot/Personal Protection).

Dunno anything about the Hornady offerings in 10mm, as I only occasionally use their FTX loads in a couple other calibers.

Like Mas has previously mentioned, I tend to like using defensive carry loads from one or another of the big ammo makers who can afford to keep production run exemplars put back in their warehouse(s), against the potential need for lab/forensic comparison in the aftermath of a shooting incident. Not everyone thinks about that, or considers it a potential benefit, but I tend to lean toward the "better safe than sorry perspective" when it comes to the potential aftermath of a shooting incident.

Like you and the 10mm STHP, I keep an eye out for both the 145gr STHP/.357MAG and the 155gr STHP/.40 S&W. They're expensive, and they're not often found on dealer shelves, but they're worth finding (in my opinion), as they may surface after an occasional production run.

I never cared for the 155gr .40 loads in my .40's, until I discovered that my 4040pD really likes the 155gr STHP. Something about the 3.5" barrel in the 3913-sized single stack compact, and how the 155gr STHP load nicely and snugly fits and slides/feeds in the very thin single stack mag needed for the 4040PD. The felt recoil is surprisingly manageable with that load, in that pistol, in my hands, too. I didn't realize this until I decided to burn up a 50rd box of the 155gr STHP one day at the range (it had just appeared in the "please shoot up" ammo bin one afternoon when I was working). One of those pleasantly surprising "parings" of gun and ammo that sometimes comes along. ;)

Good luck. :)

Reactions: 4949shooter

·
Registered
37,618 Posts
I would probably end up carrying a handloaded 180gr golddot @ 1250fps. If I am carrying my g20sf while hiking or hunting, I am fine with 200grxtp @ 1200fps or even my 200gr lwfp.

Reactions: Teecher45

·
Registered
10,934 Posts
The Gold Dot will hold up well, especially at that velocity. Believe me, Speer did their homework prior to releasing it.

If large animals were my first concern, I would use the Speer 200 grain load. Humans as a concern, I would carry the Hornady XTP in 155 grain.

Other than that, there are the Underwood offerings. But as Mas and Fastbolt mentioned, they wouldn't be my first choice for shooting humans, as in in for court purposes. Wild animal defense I would not hesitate to use Underwood or Buffalo Bore.

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
G-A 180 GD’s are one but I can’t remember velocity. I think they beefed that load up from years ago but I could be wrong. G-A are great (the best) to deal with. Been a customer for a very long time.

Look for loads soecufically made for the Colt Delta Elite. They’re about equal or slightly hotter than the Winchester ST 175.

Also, look around for reputable ‘botique’ ammo makers that load about 100-150 fps less than Underwood. Still worth carrying a 10mm but a bit tamer. G-A also loads a 155 GD @ 1375 which is very soft shooting and within the bullets velocity window. They’re super tough bullets and the lightest I go in 10mm with no equals in it’s weight at that velocity for SD IMO.

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
I have some of those 200 gr. GD 10mm Fastbolt mentioned. I forgot about them since I still have not shot any to test for feeding but I don’t see the shape being a problem. Obviously not done any testing or chrono either but I expect good things for a mid-power bonded heavyweight, the only bonded 200 gr. 10mm bullet afaik. It looks a lot like the 180 but the difference is obvious side by side and I would guess the 200 is a better feeder in picky (tight) barrels and pistols.

Damn things are spendy and only offered in 20 round boxes for now at least. I expect it to stay that way since they can discount them the same if a LEA or two decides to use it and make more money off them for civilian sales.

·
20,732 Posts
I have a Glock 29 that I CHL carry hunting, hiking and to and from those events. I loved the Winchester Silvertip load when it was still available. I have finally exhausted the last of my supply.
Are any of you aware of any currently available factory ammo that performs comparably? I have tried the Hornady options and they shoot well but seem to be designed for hunting rather than self defense levels of penetration.
I like the 180 grain Sig V-crown, 1250 fps 624 ft/lbs

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...n-hornady-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

I also like the underwood 10mm Auto 200 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point 1250 fps 694 ft/lbs which is very lose to the original Norma 200 grain load.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...n-hornady-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

And then there's the Underwood 10mm Auto 180 Grain Bonded Gold Dot JHP ammo 1300 fps/676 FPE. I have used these and other underwood loads in my G20SF and it's good ammo.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...-grain-bonded-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

·
20,732 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the PMC 170gr JHP load?
Ballistics sound good,
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1,200 FPS
  • Muzzle Energy: 543 ft.-lbs.
Price is not bad, 25 rounds for $17.99 from Sportsmans guide but the website says Item not currently available for sale.

midway and Cheaper than dirt are also out of it and midway says discontinued. So if it's availabl to you locally, get it while you can.

(edit) someone else posted that it chronographed 100 fps slow. I don't what barel length that was but if it was a Glock 20 it would be even slower out of a Glock 29.

That was a problem with the silvertips I think Winchester got their velocities out of a longer test barrel. I never got to chronograph any of it so I don't really know but I have chronographed the underwood ammo and it's usually pretty close to advertised velocities out of the 4.6 inch G20 barrel and it's probably best for use in a G29.

·
Registered
37,618 Posts
The Gold Dot will hold up well, especially at that velocity. Believe me, Speer did their homework prior to releasing it.

If large animals were my first concern, I would use the Speer 200 grain load. Humans as a concern, I would carry the Hornady XTP in 155 grain.

Other than that, there are the Underwood offerings. But as Mas and Fastbolt mentioned, they wouldn't be my first choice for shooting humans, as in in for court purposes. Wild animal defense I would not hesitate to use Underwood or Buffalo Bore.
The 200gr XTP is probably a bit tougher on larger targets than the GD, IMO. For really big nasty & you do not want to carry a 44mag, they better be wide nose solids, jhp wont dig deep enough thru wet/dirty hide & heavy bone/muscle.

Reactions: Mountain10mm
1 - 20 of 77 Posts