Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winchester Ranger comparison chart at

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by cowboy1964, Feb 6, 2010.

1. cowboy1964

I'm bored so I'm typing this up.

Some things I've noticed about the expansion and penetration numbers there that kind of surprise me:

1) The .357 SIG "T" and .45 GAP numbers aren't that impressive. Now maybe those rounds expand earlier than other calibers and thus would be more effective than those numbers would indicate. .357 SIG bonded had great penetration (maybe too much really) but didn't expand nearly as well as the 9mms.

.45 GAP penetration in particular was kind of shallow compared to everything else. .45 ACP too, except in the +P of course.

9mm +P+ penetrated LESS than the +P but expanded about the same.

2) The 9mm and .40 results are surprisingly close. .40 may penetrate *slightly* more but expansion is pretty much the same. Which seems odd because when I see side by side comparisons of 9mm vs 40 the 40 is obviously bigger. In some cases the 9mm actually penetrated more.

3) The bonded versions give a LOT more penetration sometimes, with less expansion. Probably not great for civilian CCW. But Gold Dots are bonded right? I've never seen them overpenetrate as much as these Ranger Ts.

4) The .45 ACP and .45 GAP numbers are identical. I would expect them to be close but exactly the same?? And if you compare the expanded rounds they are the same rounds, they just turned them a bit lol! So I guess one set or the other wasn't actually tested and they just copied the other. Lame.

5) 8" of penetration on the .380 is why it simply isn't taken seriously for SD. Good expansion though, same as the 9mm.

Data like this gives me the warm and fuzzies about the effectiveness of the 9mm.

Are there similar, complete, charts out there for the other top loads (Gold Dots, HST, PDX1)?
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  2. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Crossroads of America
    The 9mm is typically shot from a 4" barrel. I like the idea of 127+p+ in my G26. I use 147 in my G17. I'm very comfortable with these choices.