close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winchester RA9T and the Glock 26?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Riggs23, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Riggs23

Riggs23

I picked up 2 boxes of the 147 grn Winchester RA9T load for testing, along with it, a new Glock 26.

After I choose this combo a question came to mind. Is this load going to perform well out of the the shorter barrel Glock 26?

I've heard such great things about the RA9T load, I'm hoping it and the G26 are a good combo.

Thanks for any insight.

2. D. Manley

D. Manley

There's a lot of really good defensive loads around and the RA9T is one of them. There will be some who will urge you go go for a lighter-faster load for the "shorter" barrel but IMHO, it will do nicely. If you check actual ballistics, the velocity drop in the G26 is much smaller than you might otherwise think or expect it to be. I would be more concerned about running a few boxes of any prospective defensive load through the weapon before betting your life on it to ensure both you and the weapon like it.

3. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

I get a lot of customers buy RA9T for their G26. Funny thing is five years ago everybody wanted the RA9TA or RA9115HP+ for the 26.

4. Riggs23

Riggs23

Thanks for the responses guys. I thought it would be fine for the G26. I'll try these 2 boxes, and if all goes well I'll likely stock up and use it as a carry round. I'd like to run at least these 2 50 round boxes through it first to ensure reliability. It's a Glock, so I expect no trouble.:thumbsup:

Funny how the trend is shifting to the heavier bullets, but I'm really starting to think they're the way to go now that the bullet technology is so improved.

5. DocH

DocH Man of Sorrows

The bullet technology is improved to the point that they all perfrom well.
    Here are the figures from my own G26 with the RA9T and some other 147's in wetpack testing.

RA9T:High 918 fps/Avg.901/Pene:13 1/2 inches/ rec. Diam.0.589

Fed. 147 HST:Avg.949 fps./High 965/ Pene:10 1/2 in./ Rec Diam.0.692

Speer Gold Dot 147:Avg.934/High 955/Pene.13in./rec Diam.0.5525

Rem Golden Sabre 147:Avg.1010/High 1028/Pene 13 in/Rec Diam.0.590

I have a large supply of RA9T on hand,but I personally like the Golden Sabre for the G26 due to the penetration and expansion combination.In truth any of them will do the job. The HST is great but penetration was a little less than the other 147's,but I would not hesitate to use it.
    The recovered sabres are nasty looking.

Hope this helps. The 147's allow you to get more rounds on target faster due to faster follow up from the lower recoil. if you choose the 127+P+ here's what you can basically expect:
    RA9TA; Avg.1226 fps/High 1235/ Pene.12 in./Rec Diam 0.613
    Also from the Glock 26.

If you take a close look at my figures you will see that the RA9T expanded basically the same as the sabre and the penetration was about 1/2 in deeper even tho it had less velocity that the Sabre.Velocity is no longer the king in determining overall performance. When the sabres are gone I'll be using the RA9T.