Winchester Model 70 .270

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by cimpala, Oct 26, 2010.

1. cimpala

cimpala

Just wondering if anyone knew anything about this rifle.Winchester synthetic stock Model 70 .270 with Classic Sm Boss.Considering buying one used from a friend of mine.:wavey::supergrin:

2. Berto

Berto woo woo

A nice rifle, in extra loud flavor.

3. Edmo01

Edmo01

I've got a stainless "pre 64" style model 70 in .300 Winchester Magnum and it has been an outstanding rifle. My rifle has proven itself to be accurate, reliable, and dependable.

Most of the model 70 actions use a "controlled feed" bolt similar to the old Mauser actions. This bolt, unlike the push feed bolt found in the Remington model 700, allows for very reliable feeding. The gun can feed ammo right side up or upside down. Basically, when the bolt strips the round off of the magazine it grabs it and holds it throughout the feeding/extracting cycle.

This feature made this type of action more desirable for those who might be after dangerous game or in bear country where you want 100% feed reliability. The last thing you want is the next round to fall out of your rifle as you cycle the action with an angry bear approaching. Additionally, any competent gunsmith can easily do a trigger job on a model 70 if that is one of your needs.

The 270 is a 30.06 cartridge necked down to accept .277" bullets and was developed in the 1920s. It is known to be flat shooting and capable of taking any game in North America. You will be able to easily find ammo or reloading components and 130-140 grain bullets are a standard weight. According to my reloading manual, these weight bullets can be easily pushed out of the barrel at 2,800-3,000 fps hence the "flat shooting".

I would not have any second thoughts on either a model 70 or the 270 caliber. This combo will be a good flat shooting whitetail, elk, pronghorn, or black bear rifle.

Edmo

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  4. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

The boss makes it very loud other than that it's a great rifle!

5. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Thousands, if not more of them out there. Great all around rifle for the price.

6. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

Great smooth feeding rifles. Have had five, down to four. My 270 is the push feed with a McMillan stock. Very accurate rifle. Low recoil.
    Sold my pre64 338, brutal recoil.