Winchester Model 67 Stock Refinish?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by OV1kenobi, Jan 25, 2020.

1. OV1kenobi

OV1kenobi

C9F721C8-891D-4998-9DE6-62CBCF2CA03E.jpeg C50D4A76-38D4-4DD3-BA5D-9FBA838EFF1C.jpeg

I recently acquired this rifle, and it appears to be all original and in relatively good shape for a rifle manufactured prior to 1964.

The finish of the stock has seen better days, so I am thinking about refinishing it.

I know what I am doing, but I also know that some firearms should not be “messed with” because of age and potential value.

I don’t think that the 67 is rare and unusual. It is probably a somewhat common rifle. Still, should I or shouldn’t I refinish the stock?

Edited: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_67

Supposedly, the chromed bolt, trigger and safety lever as found on my rifle was replaced with blued parts in October, 1944.

That is according to Wikipedia. Take it for what it is worth.

https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/winchester-model-67-22.129370/

From the information on this forum, it looks like my Model 67 was made in November or December, 1937.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  2. arnold ziffle

arnold ziffle aka dingle

i used to have a 677. the stock was similar. i didn’t want to hurt the value so i used birchwood casey gun wax. it leaves a nice finish. it can easily be removed or retouched when it starts to wear.

Bill Keith likes this.

3. NoStress

NoStress

If it were mine I would refinish it because it would make me happy. I never worry about hurting the value of something if I am going to keep it. How I value it is more important than how others might.

4. ede

ede

No idea on the collectability of it. You might look into cleaning or restoration process. I've had a few beaters a good cleaning really helped out.

Bill Keith likes this.
  5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You can always get a replacement stock from Gun Parts Corp. for $95, if you want to leave this one original.

BigBull 301 and rotorhead1026 like this.
  6. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

I had and sold one, but in my case, I sanded it very well with progressive grits. Then, used waxless shelac for several coats (light sanding between) until all pours were filled and completely smooth to the touch. Then, I applied three coats of a wipe on satin poly.

When it was done, you just wanted to handle it because it was so smooth. I bought it for $25 as a beater and sold it for $130 and that was too cheap because the person who bought it didn't hesitate.

Bill Keith likes this.
  7. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I would try cleaning the stock first (Murphy's oil soap) before I considered refinishing it.

I have a Winchester model 68 which is the peep sighted/target version of the 67. The 68 was only made from 1936-42. My dad got it when he turned 10 from his brother in law who joined the national guard in 1938 and went off to basic training. It was the first gun I ever shot.

Bill Keith likes this.
  8. DAW9347

DAW9347

I still have mine, still shoot the snot out of it and I even drilled and tapped the receiver for a scope base:

[​IMG]

With a barrel length of 27-inches, this is the rifle I use to check advertised and box velocities of .22 rimfire ammunition over my chronograph:

[​IMG]

9. MajorD

MajorD

I see a fine looking rifle and stock wouldn’t think of refinishing- take it out and shoot it.