Winchester 94 quick report

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Berto, Sep 20, 2019.

1. CBennett

CBennett

Nice report and a nice used lever action is right up my alley currently..either 30-30 or .357 magnum..in Winchester or Marlin for Coyotes and deer within 125 yards. will need to do some selling or trading though as i dont have the funds to get one straight out.

Berto likes this.
  2. papershoot

papershoot

Berto and CBennett like this.

3. Berto

Berto woo woo

I'm going to be dinking around with the front no matter what, since I have to remove that stupid hood they put on there.
    I guess I'll know soon enough whether the front is too short when I see how it 'co witnesses' with the existing rear sight before I tap it out of its dovetail.
    From the reviews I've seen, it seems hit or miss with that whole thing, I'm good with the idea of a finer front sight.

Karambit777 likes this.
  4. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

I'll be interested how you do with peep sight as well. I know you're a good shot. For me I struggle any time have used buckhorns. Have hit at 1000 yards with M1A with hooded rear irons, just amazes me I do so poorly with buckhorn

Is there stuff ready to go peep wise for 94 pattern rifles or you rigging something up?

Berto likes this.
  5. Karambit777

Karambit777

Sharp and crisp angle/lines sound ideal in regards to front sights, for a peep setup. A bead-style front sounds way to fat.

I’ll remember the “go taller” advice for choosing the front.

Following this thread. My current 94 is a hundred yard rifle now. Peep sights could make this a 150/200 yard rifle comfortably perhaps. The front bead seems to be the main limitation.

Berto likes this.
  6. seamaster

seamaster

The Williams 94/36 sight in either 5D or FP models, are made specifically for the older 94's and the marlin 336's that are pre-drilled on the side of the receiver. There are also sights for the newer rifles that are only pre-drilled on the top of the receiver.

And for front sights there are two types, the dovetail directly in the barrel or a sight base that's screwed into the barre. Both use a standard 3/8" dovetail but will need different height (& width) inserts.

This is a side mount williams FP sight,
    upload_2019-9-22_10-32-8.png

And depending on the rifle it can use one of these front sights, these are from skinner sights,
    upload_2019-9-22_10-33-9.png

upload_2019-9-22_10-36-31.png

And Skinner also has this one that replaces a sight base with a two screw or one screw version.
    upload_2019-9-22_10-35-34.png

Bradley T, PattonWasRight and Berto like this.
  7. CBennett

CBennett

Buck
    buckhorns not that great a site really...i dont like them

PattonWasRight likes this.
  8. CBennett

CBennett

if i get one thats what im thinking of getting

9. seamaster

seamaster

Here's the front sight on my marlin 336. It has the sight base and in my case this is a temporary dovetail blade sight. There is a tiny cant to the left to how the sight base was installed from the factory and I notice it when sighting thru the peep. So I'll be sighted-in with the temp front sight and then replace it with the skinner bear buster if the overall height works. In which case I'll be drilling and tapping new holes to eliminate the canted sight picture. This won't make much difference inside 200 yards but it will be more satisfying to my discriminating eye.
    [​IMG]

This is the williams 94/36 FP on the rear of the same gun, 1972 marlin 336. The same sight fits those winchester 94's that are pre-drilled on the side. I found these "FP Fool Proof" sights to be the easiest to sight in. They are as easy as sighting in a scope.
    [​IMG]

The apertures are replaceable and while hunting I typically keep a williams twilight target aperture in my pocket for even more accurate long range shooting. This will be my 4th rifle with this sight set-up!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    PattonWasRight, Berto and CBennett like this.
  10. seamaster

seamaster

And, I should note that the sight picture using a tall front sight "post" or blade is cleaner/less distracting than a sight picture that has the "sight base" visible thru the peep.

If the sight base is visible in the sight picture, to correct that you could get a taller front blade and raise the rear accordingly, or you can use an aperture with a smaller dia peep hole.

Does that make sense?

Berto likes this.
  11. Berto

Berto woo woo

Oh absolutely. Skinner, Lyman and William's offer peeps that mount to the factory drilled holes on the left side of the receiver. The two screws toward the top

Vvvvvvvv
    20190922_131625.jpg
    Also, you have the option of tang mounted sights from Marble, at least....though I'd be concerned it might be a little exposed for my needs in a carbine especially.

PattonWasRight and seamaster like this.
  12. SargeMO

SargeMO

Berto and seamaster like this.
  13. seamaster

seamaster

I have a copy of "Memories of 30-30" article saved on my google drive, and the "Winchester 94, Century of Craftsmanship" book on my coffee table.

My hunting rifle is 30-30, and same for my son.

Berto likes this.
  14. Berto

Berto woo woo

William's peeps are on there, install was simple.
    It appears elevation will be fine, but wont know for certain until I shoot it (tomorrow or next day)
    20190924_180940.jpg 20190924_180952.jpg

Front is dovetailed, should be easy to switch if needed.

seamaster and 0311INF like this.
  15. SargeMO

SargeMO

That's a real slick old 94 there Berto. Good score!

Berto likes this.
  16. Karambit777

Karambit777

That added sight radius has to be better already. I should do this too.

Does that William’s peep seem solid? What’s the screw torque? Did the manual specify?

Berto likes this.
  17. Berto

Berto woo woo

The sight is solid and doesnt move. The flip side; no instructions or manual....although pretty self explanatory.
    Remove sight from package, separate sight from base (loosen screw), loc tite all the screws and mount base in the threaded holes on the receiver. Install peep assy onto base and adjust to align with original sight sights close as possible.
    You're going to be using a rather small screwdriver, so whatever reasonable torque will do the job.

18. Berto

Berto woo woo

@ range, 50yrds
    Gotta say, nailed the windage.
    Holding center with 170gr, bottom group cloverleaf +1.
    Adj elevation and used Horn LEE 160gr, all 10ring. 20190925_134844.jpg
    100yrds looking pretty good too, getting target...

19. Berto

Berto woo woo

So here's what shook out with the new William's peep sight;
    I'm impressed, first of all.
    When I installed the sight, I left the original leaf in place and used it to 'co witness' the alignment of the peep sight rear, which is about 6" behind the original leaf. This worked well, and put me perfect for windage at 50 yards using my last 4
    Rem 170gr core lokt, and only 4" low using a dead on hold.
    I adjusted the elevation up and used 5 Hornady Leverevolution 160gr....pretty much exactly on the money.
    20190925_150808.jpg
    I added a little more elevation, then set up for 100 yards. 5 more 160gr pointy tip Hornadys went downrange.
    20190925_150836.jpg
    I've shot some 3- something inch 5 shot groups with the buckhorn sights, so for this one time effort getting under 3" is a good indication, especially when three of those are in the x ring.
    So pretty happy with that investment of $48. More time and ammo will probably reveal more potential, but seamaster's front sight suggestion resonates with me.

Speaking of.....I also brought along my other Winchester, a 67A. This also uses a peep rear sight, a Lyman.
    20190925_150557.jpg
    Originally, this had a 27" barrel. Years ago I had the late Stan Baker's shop in Seattle take it down to 20" (IIRC) due to some rust around the muzzle. He also put a nice target crown on there.
    My mistake today was using the 5 bull small bore target, which is a bad mismatch for this guns sights. The front is a bead like the '94s, too big against 5" dots....so I wandered all over. Adding to the problem, I cant lower the sight without impeding the full movement of the bolt. So I'm using a snowman sight picture, which sucks for windage especially.
    Good excuse for new front sights now, I think.
    20190925_150718.jpg
    So taller front for the 67 at least with with a skinnier blade would enable a finer sight picture; lollipop up close and dead on at distance.
    The 94 is satisfactory as is, but there might be room for improvement there too.

seamaster and pike bishop like this.
  20. Buckeye63

Buckeye63

My favorite rifle caliber ,
    30-30 ....

seamaster and Berto like this.