Win2K server question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by grenadier, Mar 15, 2005.

1. grenadier

grenadier

Does anyone have a simple (or as simple as it can be) way or how-to, when it comes to making a computer system running Win2K Server, work as a print server as well?

In terms of server functions, it's just an FTP server at this time, but I'm looking to make it a print server as well.

Thanks.

2. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

The help feature in windows actually works in this case when helping set up a print server (it doesn't always for other things!) Pretty easy though, just add network printers to the server in question, and have the workstations connect to the printer via the server. Also, you don't need W2K Server to run a print server W2K Pro will function as a limited print server (limited to 10 connections).

3. grenadier

grenadier

Thanks, Cryptoboy.

I did contemplate whether or not I should use Win2K Server, but I needed an FTP server at the time, and this seemed like the easier way to go.

4. Clyde

Clyde Lost in KY Millennium Member

Connect printer to Server load any drivers required

Under printers select the printer Right Click select sharing - keep default name you are done.

From Client start Run \\servername press enter - Right click printer name and select connect.

I am assuming you just want to make printer avil to other clients