Win Vista: going where only root canals have gone before

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by goldenlight, Jan 10, 2010.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight

Today I had my first experience using a Win Vista computer.

Please: shoot me before it happens again.

Never, ever, have I seen a piece of software that is so BADLY made, and so difficult to use.

I have a Win XP computer that I had custom built in late 2006. It won't play the newest games, but it has a dual core processor, 2 gigs of RAM, and it does everything I ask of it, with ease.

I have it set to look like 'classic Windows'. It was an effortless transition from Win 95 to Win 98 to Win NT4.0 to Win 2000 to Win XP. I thought Win XP LOOKED stupid, with those Fisher-Price puffy icons, but now it looks just like Win 2000 did. :supergrin:

Vista: HOLY CR@P! What a piece of garbage!

I was trying to give a friend some of my software and music.

What would have taken a few hours, at MOST, in Win XP, took at least 8 hours in Win Vista.

Neither of us knew how to use Win Vista; it was a 'new' computer to my friend.

What an unbelievably painful experience! Could Microsoft have POSSIBLY made the OS ANY more difficult to use?

Even if they had some allegedly intelligent people working, day or night for YEARS, to make it as difficult as possible?

I don't THINK so.

I have Office 2003 on my computer. I opened Office 2007 on her computer, and found it's pretty much just as bad as Win Vista: instead of any visible improvements, it's just HARDER to do the things that I used to know how to do, easily and simply, in Office 2003.

Wow, did Microsoft make an enormous TURD.

My personal vision of eternal Hell is now being forced to use Windows Vista.....ever again. :steamed::steamed::steamed:

2. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

You can't go wrong with Apple! :supergrin:

3. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

I've been using Vista for over two years. I have no idea why people complain about it, or have issues with it. I have it on my laptop, set to the "Classic" version as well.

Again, I have no clue as to why some people have issues with it. Our desktop runs XP, and I am always sending stuff back and forth between the computers.

Recently installed Office 2007 on both computers. Its different, and takes getting used to. Once you know what you are doing its quite good.

4. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

Two things to do with Vista: turn off UAC, install SP2 (well SP1 fixed most issues, but 2 is out now). After those are done it is the nicest version of Windows to date. If you don't then it is as bad as you describe, maybe worse.

I don't use the "classic" mode because learning where things are in a new OS isn't that hard for me and some of the gizmos in Aero are actually pretty cool.

5. JMag

JMag

Vista is why Micro$oft made Win 7...

:)

6. Hawker Man

Hawker Man

Don't worry. Windoze 7 is here to save the day.
    Apple is tooooooooooo expensive.
    I'm on a Windoze XP box right now but my other box is loading Ubuntu Linux based OS, it has not cost me a penny for the software. We will see how it goes. I have not had to agree to a EULA (end user license agreement) yet.
    I can't wait to dump the anti christ, Bill Gates. You do realize he can shut you down any time he wants, right?
    Tom

7. Altaris

Altaris

Yup.

While I have had no issues at all with Vista, Windows 7 is much better.

8. goldenlight

goldenlight

What is 'UAC', and how exactly do I turn it off?

9. Hawker Man

Hawker Man

95 is why they made 98 which is why they made millennium which is why they made 2000 which is why they made xp which is why they made vista which is why they made 7 ....................................................................
    Tom

10. Max5

Max5

I went from Win98 to Vista. No problems immediately adapting.

I do agree about Office 2007. It's not as user friendly as earlier versions.

11. Rolledup4s

Rolledup4s

vista is junk but all of them since win NT pro are. IMO

NT pro is as solid as it gets next to apple except it didnt support enough ram.....

12. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Sounds like most of your issues are because you aren't used to the interface. Maybe get back to us after you adapt. As for Office 2007, I'm not a fan either, but mostly cause I don't use it much and am used to the previous version. Guy I know who uses it a lot says it's great once you get used to it.

Which for me probably won't happen anytime soon since most of the time for word processing needs I just use notepad.

As for UAC. START -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Turn User Account Control On/Off

13. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

OP- I am with you 1000%.

14. PBCounty

PBCounty

Me too. Nightmare.

15. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Yep, PBC Brother and I agree on everything! :supergrin:

16. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

I used Vista since the pre-releases till now. Had a 32bit on the laptop and 64bit on a quad core 6gig ram desktop. Both were fine, no issues going from xp or any of the previous Windows to it (usage wise). They have both been extremely stable, especially with all the service packs.
    I have a couple clients that I migrated all the machines to Vista, and 60 year old secretaries were all able to manage just fine....what does that say about you? :tongueout:
    I'm running 7 ultimate on the laptop and I am diggin it thus far. Battery life and overall speed with 7 seems a bit better with it being a 3 year old dual core with 2gigs of ram. If you hated vista for usability you won't like 7 either. It's like vista with better internals for the most part as far as getting around goes save for a few smaller changes.

17. 4MUL8R

4MUL8R

Vista was better for me than XP. I have both OS at work, side by side, and like Vista better.

18. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I have a Dell with XP, a Toshiba with Vista and a Toshiba with 7 I just got on friday.
    So far, my favorite OS is Vista. It's super easy to use, it's been very stable for me, and has a good layout. Vista has a super fast search feature that puts XP to shame. 7 is nice but for some reason I am not too fond of the features they've changed from Vista.
    XP seems to be the staple OS for people who are doing custom builds and whathaveyou, but I guess I just don't know what I'm talking about? Haha

19. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I've been running Vista for nearly 3 years without a problem. I actually like it. The transition from W2000 to Vista was seamless for me too. I'm going to get a new laptop and will get W7 just for something different.

After reading the above post I checked my UAC - it was on. I was going to turn it off but thought if I'm not having a problem, why turn it off?

Isaiah - what benefit do I get from turning off UAC?

20. Captain America

Captain America

That's pretty funny stuff right there. Yes, he can, just like Apple can. Just like you can cut your hand off anytime you want...

I'm posting this from a Dell Latitude E6500 running Win 7 Ult x64. (Unless Bill suts me down... ;))