Glock Talk banner

Win 231 to be discontinued in the future (not sure when)...

14765 Views 61 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  sig357fan
Found this post on another board and thought I would pass the info along......

Received this email today in response to an inquiry about Win231 Powder.
"Winchester 231 certainly has been hard to get. The plant that makes Winchester powders does not want to make 231 as well as a few other powders. These older technology powders have different chemistry than the new powders and this older chemistry makes it much slower to make powder: basically, you can make about 2.5 times as many pounds of new chemistry powder in the time it takes to make 1 pound of old chemistry powder. During the process of making the old powders, the waste stream created is huge compared to the waste stream of the new chemistry powders. Chemical waste is very expensive to get rid of. So, the plant wants to phase out the old chemistry powders and replace them with new chemistry powders. While they are still making 231, the amount is being reduced and the amount of new powder such as Titegroup and Longshot is being increased.
Now, we are kind of stuck in the middle. The market is demanding 231 but the maker is not wanting to produce the powder. The result is, over time, 231 is going to go away. Shooters should begin using other powders as they can.
Mike Daly
Hodgdon Family of Fine Propellants
Hodgdon Smokeless Powder
IMR Powder Company
Winchester Smokeless Propellants
GOEX Blackpowder"

linky:

http://ingunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/389607-limited-powder-read.html

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
You can NEVER be too rich or too thin...
Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours....
Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
1,381 Posts
If I wanted to use another powder I would not be using 231. Of course there have been several excellent powders that have been discarded over the years. I'm certain there will be a replacement powder but one not as good as 231. Seems the bean counters outrank the customer. Or maybe I'm looking at this all wrong.

· Registered
4,612 Posts
Well, I hope my back order gets filled before that... Been waiting for 24# since April 2013....

I now have other powers that I am using, but I'd love to have a nice stock of 231.

· Registered
15,030 Posts
Found this post on another board and thought I would pass the info along......

Received this email today in response to an inquiry about Win231 Powder.
"Winchester 231 certainly has been hard to get. The plant that makes Winchester powders does not want to make 231 as well as a few other powders. These older technology powders have different chemistry than the new powders and this older chemistry makes it much slower to make powder: basically, you can make about 2.5 times as many pounds of new chemistry powder in the time it takes to make 1 pound of old chemistry powder. During the process of making the old powders, the waste stream created is huge compared to the waste stream of the new chemistry powders. Chemical waste is very expensive to get rid of. So, the plant wants to phase out the old chemistry powders and replace them with new chemistry powders. While they are still making 231, the amount is being reduced and the amount of new powder such as Titegroup and Longshot is being increased.
Now, we are kind of stuck in the middle. The market is demanding 231 but the maker is not wanting to produce the powder. The result is, over time, 231 is going to go away. Shooters should begin using other powders as they can.
Mike Daly
Hodgdon Family of Fine Propellants
Hodgdon Smokeless Powder
IMR Powder Company
Winchester Smokeless Propellants
GOEX Blackpowder"

linky:

http://ingunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/389607-limited-powder-read.html

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
You can NEVER be too rich or too thin...
Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours....
Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.
Time to make a new powder between tightgroup and long shot.

· Registered
24,236 Posts
I've always suspected that the recent powder shortage would be an excuse for the powder companies
to update their production methods and eliminate older "old technology" powders.

...And to introduce "new technology" powders, like CFE Pistol, BE86, Power Pro 300-MP and others.

You might want to buy up all the Unique, Bullseye, 231 and 2400 that you can find?

· Registered
9 Posts
Same here Lowcountry. Started reloading around the first of the year. All my load books love W231. It's like the unicorn of powders. I did pick up a couple pounds of BE-86 and like it. Of course I have nothing to compare it to!

· Registered
40,449 Posts
W231/HP38 is a good powder but it's kind of a tweener. I break powders into 3 groups; fast, medium & slow. W231 is right on the edge of fast & medium. Not as slow as Unique or WSF, not as fast as WST or vv320. I prefer WST for a faster powder & WSF or Unique for a Medium powder. I have maybe 3# of HP38 left, won't miss it when it's gone.
I understand progress, several old school powders have long since gone. Something else will come out to fill the need. Until then, for guys that love W231, buy what you can find, buy all you can afford.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
W231/HP38 is a good powder but it's kind of a tweener. I break powders into 3 groups; fast, medium & slow. W231 is right on the edge of fast & medium. Not as slow as Unique or WSF, not as fast as WST or vv320. I prefer WST for a faster powder & WSF or Unique for a Medium powder. I have maybe 3# of HP38 left, won't miss it when it's gone.
I understand progress, several old school powders have long since gone. Something else will come out to fill the need. Until then, for guys that love W231, buy what you can find, buy all you can afford.
Very true Fred, I have not been reloading near as long as you but I have already seen one or two come & go. Running some test right now on Alliant's BE-86, still have a couple of pounds of CFE lying about. I try to keep on top of these new powders as they hit the market, but this can get expensive so some I just let go.

I have a "pretty good" supply of W231, I have used in with most all calibers I reload for, I do like it but will miss it if/when it goes the way of the Dinosaur.

· NRA Member
865 Posts
Lame, W231/HP38 is what I use on most of my pistol loads. I've been thinking of trying CFE, guess I'll have my reason now.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
30 years ago I wanted to keep it simple and loaded everything with 231. 9mm, 38/357, 10mm (40 didn't exist back then), 45 ACP and even .44 mag.

One kind of powder kept it simple but a jack of all trades is a master of none. Now it seems like I use just about everything else more than 231. To the point the 231 I have is all in steel cans.

· Registered
2,061 Posts
Darn! I hate to hear the news. Some of my favorite loads use W231. I did find a 4# jug awhile back but that won't last forever. It looks like a good time to develop a new 38 Spl. 148g HBWC load. TiteGroup is working well for 9mm, may try that.

· Registered
40,449 Posts
Darn! I hate to hear the news. Some of my favorite loads use W231. I did find a 4# jug awhile back but that won't last forever. It looks like a good time to develop a new 38 Spl. 148g HBWC load. TiteGroup is working well for 9mm, may try that.
If lead, Might as well shoot black powder.:ack:

· Registered
934 Posts
Just when I had begun standardizing on a bullet, powder, primer combination someone jerks the rug [powder] out from under my feet.

OK, tell me something I don't want to hear about CCI or Federal small pistol primers.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.