Wilson Combat EXperior

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Seaweed02, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Seaweed02

Seaweed02 Boatswain's Mate

Today was a heck of a day. My wife wanted to go shopping at this certain place that is kind of far from where we live. So I took her, but since we were there I decided to visit a gun store that is kind of too far for me to want to visit normally. This gun store is said to have Wilson Combat pistols in stock, so I wanted to check it out for myself. Well I went in and low and behold but they had a Wilson Combat eXperior pistol. It was a double stack in 9mm, and a compact with 4 inch barrel. I saw that it was an all black pistol with black grips, and I liked it. It also had a light rail, even though the ones I've seen on YouTube have not had a light rail. I had to have it. Here are some pics.

This one is with the bag it came in, and sitting on a table next to the Staccato C2. They are very close to the exact same size. Almost.
    Experior with C2.jpg Experior LS in my hand .jpg Experior LS outside table.jpg Experior LS in my hand 2.jpg Experior RS in my hand.jpg Experior RS outside table .jpg Experior sights.jpg

It fits my hand really well. It is the same size as the C2 with the exception of the grip. The C2 is a little bit fatter and therefore it is harder to reach the slide release without adjusting my grip on the gun. But with the Wilson I can reach all the controls without adjusting my grip. I'll take it shooting this weekend and find out how it does. The trigger is nice. But so is the
    C2 trigger.

What is also bad is I recently applied for a finance plan that was on Wilson Combat's webpage to buy a Wilson Combat EDC X9. According to the contract I don't think I can cancel even though gun isn't being built yet because the parts and material are not in stock at Wilson Combat. Covid-19 has effected those materials too. At least that is what the rep said when I called. So I guess eventually I'll be getting the EDC X9 as well.

2. DonD

DonD

What's the wife going to hit you with for her enjoyment? Don

glide likes this.

3. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Well she won't be taking you shopping anymore!!

4. Seaweed02

I did something I haven't done in a long time. I never sell guns, but about a week and a half ago I took some guns in to see what I could get for them. I put 3 on consignment. But I just sold 3 AK under folders, and two Kimber Eclipse Custom pistols, one in 45 ACP, and the other in 10mm. I used that money from the guns I just straight out sold to the shop owner to buy the Wilson Combat eXperior today.

When the ones on consignment sell I think I'm going to get a Triarc Tri-11 Commander Size in 9mm. The ones on consignment are an Ed Brown Special Forces, a Les Baer Custom Carrry, and a Remington 700 chambered in 7mm Rem Mag with a Leuphold scope mounted on it.

Orive 8 and Current Resident like this.
  5. bac1023

bac1023

Looks great

Congrats! :cool:

6. bac1023

bac1023

Quality over quantity

You did well

Seaweed02 and jr24 like this.
  7. jr24

jr24

Very nice!

Too bad about canceling the X9 though, since they are essentially the same gun, just a bit different frame texture and a bit different slide layout (internal extractor, front sight dovetail over the Glock like setup of the X9). I believe the rest of the internals are the same.

Then again, I want a spare X9 so maybe you'll love yours as much as I do mine and be super happy with a pair of em :)

Seaweed02 likes this.
  8. Seaweed02

Yes I think I’ll like it very much. Enough to just keep them both. The finance loan actually starts deducting it’s payment from my checking account on the 22nd of this month. But I do remember reading in the contract that it couldn’t be cancelled nor could I change the gun. But the payment is only going to be $98 a month. I spend more than that when I take my family out to dinner. So having both in my collection will be a pleasure. And if I want to I can just sell one down the road. But I seriously doubt it.

You know the worst part is that both this eXperior and the EDC X9 are going to look exactly the same. When I was applying for the financial loan I had to get on the phone with Wilson Combat and get a quote. Part of that is deciding on finish, grip color, and sights. Well I remember choosing the black finish with black grips just like this EXperior has. The only difference will be in the sights. On the EDC X9 I chose fiber optic sights and this one came with an Ameriglo style front night sight.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    jr24 likes this.
  9. jr24

jr24

One thing worth preparing yourself for if either your experior or EDC X9 plans to see much holster time is the Wilson Armor Tuff finish is not super durable. My X9 started wearing pretty quickly once it started spending time in the holster.

I don't mind holster wear myself and refinishing isn't super expensive anyway. Wilson now offers a PVD finish that I might try if/when I send it in for some slide refinishing.

Probably a neat time to try a different color as well.

Bill Keith and Seaweed02 like this.
  10. Seaweed02

I agree about the holster wear. It doesn’t bother me at all. My Ed Brown Special Forces had holster wear on it. I’ve never heard of the PVD finish. I’ll have to look that up and find out about it. But that will be a ways away for me. I just barely got the EXperior and don’t even know when they’ll even start building the EDC X9. When I got approved for the financing of the X9 I went ahead and ordered a nice leather holster for it. I think the EXperior is going to fit that holster just fine.

For anyone interested, the store where I bought the EXperior had many Wilson Combat guns in stock including an EDC X9S. I held it for a minute but it just didn’t feel right in my hand. So try to handle one before you buy.

jr24 likes this.
  11. Current Resident

Current Resident

I really likw that, nice choice

12. glide

glide Just sayin'

Fabulous guns, OP.

The one handgun platform I don't have that I've always contemplated in acquiring is a 1911 pistol. Then there is the choice of caliber. I've always enjoyed my 9mm pistols and 10mm would be a caliber that is powerful. But then if I remember correctly, the 1911 pistol was built around the 45acp round. So I'm sort of gravitating to a 1911 pistol in 45acp. Looking at Guncrafter Industries or Cabot to get my feet wet.

Enjoy your new pistols and be safe.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

13. arnold ziffle

arnold ziffle aka dingle

win win

Seaweed02 likes this.
  14. Seaweed02

Current Resident: Thank you. When I walked in the store and saw it sitting in the gun case, I already knew I was going to buy it. In fact I couldn't believe it was still there and that nobody else had taken it home yet.

Glide: Yeah I have had several 1911s and most have been in 45acp. But I have had a Nighthawk Custom chambered in 10mm and it was a totally bad ass gun. But 1911's do have the limitation on round count in the magazine. That is the only draw back.

Arnold Ziffel: Yep. Win Win. :)

15. jr24

jr24

Honestly, for practical and carry use, I have a bigger problem with their weight. I don't like how the lightweights shoot big boy calibers and find the all steel options too heavy for carry (well, my back decided that for me anyway).

If my back hadn't decided my VBob was too much for daily carry I would likely have bought a Wilson Carry Comp in .45 over the X9.

Seaweed02 likes this.
  16. Seaweed02

I took it out shooting today against the Staccato C2. I love the way it feels in my hand. The grip is just a perfect fit, and like I mentioned before, I can reach all of the controls. Although I did shoot the C2 a bit better. I think the trigger on the C2 is a tad bit lighter, and the Wilson I bought had a front night sight on it where the C2 has a very nice fiber optic front sight that stands out. And I've fired about 500 or so rounds out of the C2 so I'm used to it. But I did have a stove pipe out of the C2 and I had no failures of any kind from the Wilson.

jr24 likes this.
  17. jr24

jr24

My X9 took a few hundred rounds to really learn it. Odd that yours came with stock night sights, most stuff out of Wilson comes with green fiber optics these days.

18. Seaweed02

Well I believe that the gun store where I found it, had to have ordered it with the night sights. And all the other features. Just like as if I was ordering one from Wilson Combat. As far as learning it, I did have a couple of really tight groups too, so I think I'll get used to it in time. Just like I am now used to the C2 trigger. And the Wilson may need a little break in time to soften up that trigger a bit. Not that it is heavy right now.

When I ordered the Bul Armory SAS II Ultra Light, I ordered a holster for it. Well that was delivered today even though I don't have the Bul Armory yet. But both the Wilson Combat and the Staccato C2 fit that holster perfectly.

Today I looked on the Wilson Combat webpage to order a fiber optic front sight for that Experior, and I couldn't find it. I know that the EDC X9 is a different, Glock like front sight post, so I need one specifically for the Experior. I ended up having to write them a message and I'll have to wait to hear from them to get the part I need. but eventually I'll get a fiber optic front sight.

jr24 likes this.
  19. jr24

jr24

That is a question that was posed in the 1911forums.com forum when it was announced, if it would fit the same dovetail as the rest of the Wilson guns or something else, I'll be interested in what they say.

I like the night sights myself, took the fiber optic off for the orange ring trigicon first thing. Works better for my colorblind eyes, though the fiber optic that came with my X9 was the most visible FO I've used

Seaweed02 likes this.
  20. Seaweed02

Bul Armory Holster.jpg This holster is for the Bul Armory SAS II Ultra Light pistol. But it fits both the Wilson Combat Experior, and the Staccato C2. It is not exactly down deep enough, but you can turn the holster upside down and shake it, and the gun won't come out or even budge. I couldn't shoot it today because I had an appointment at the trap range with my shotgun. But I'll get some more shooting done asap.

jr24 likes this.