Willie Pete, is this accurate?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nursetim, Sep 13, 2019 at 1:50 AM.

1. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Where do I begin ?

Minuteman crews probably weren't targeted like the article implies. They don't live with their missiles like Titan crews did. One Minuteman Launch Facility controls 10 remote missiles spaced far enough apart a single Russian nuke could not get two of them. Russia was out to kill the missiles, not the crews; why waste a nuke on the crews when Minuteman ( unlike Titan ) could get launched by an airplane flying overhead if the crews were gone.

Titan ( the picture leading the article - decommissioned in 1987 ) was a different story. Crews lived with their missiles 60 yards away. If the nuke hit close enough to get the missile, the crew was gone also. We had a month's worth of food ( C rats ) and water for the five people on the crew ( normal four person crew and a maintenance pad chief during the workweek day ). Radiation levels would have dropped off to reasonably normal levels after two weeks.

Standing orders were to try to make it back to the main base ( Little Rock AFB in my case ) if it was still there after radiation levels had dropped to " safe " levels and your missile was away. We also had Geiger counters to check levels. If the missile had not launched ( either broke or not targeted ), we had to hang around. It could be launched days or weeks later depending on the original target.

If the silo did not take a somewhat direct hit ( Russian missiles weren't that accurate back then ), we were reasonably expected to be OK. The missile and the control room sat on huge shock absorber springs and could survive a nearby hit. The site had a CBR ( Chemical, Bio, Radiation ) filter on the incoming air and enough diesel fuel to run the generator for 30 days. So just hope nothing else broke and sit it out.

sac.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 5:05 AM
    bruscifer, Road Dog, Glasgow and 34 others like this.

2. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

3. ACE31

ACE31

Ha fooled me, I thought the thread was about white phosphorous...LOL

4. Caver 60

Caver 60

Same with us. Home base or an alternate airfield.

Our problem was getting out of the country without getting vaporized. Either on launch when our main base was hit before we could get far enough away, or being unlucky enough to be flying over the spot where a missile just hit. This was especially a problem from the southern bases.

I don't think there would have been any doubt we were at war. There would have been nuc flashes all over the place as we left the CONUS outbound. That would have made most of us more determined than ever to deliver our bombs on the assigned targets.

Especially the flash that got our home base shortly after we got airborne. Our loved ones would all have been gone.

5. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Fire the missile and then head over to that good looking female crew member and try to go out with a bang!

Oldschooltube and pgg00 like this.
  6. Maxw

Maxw

If we made it out of CONUS the tanker crews had the short end of the stick, they would refuel us and had no where to go but to ditch.

7. powernoodle

powernoodle

Is it a coincidence that the SAC logo contains elements of the Powernoodle avatar? I think not.

willie_pete likes this.
  8. Deltic

Deltic

Good looking female crew members were not really a common thing during the cold war.

9. willie_pete

au contraire ! Even though female crew members were just coming in as I left; we had a female Pad Chief at my last ACP site that was exceptional.

No one would have minded repopulating the earth with her.

The only problem was she went home at 4:00PM. The war had to start M-f ; 8-4PM

10. Tvov

Tvov

Interesting thread, something I never really thought about. I, along with most other civilians, just assumed everyone and everything would be vaporized. Especially living in Connecticut, back then we were still "the arsenal of democracy"... now we are just a bunch of empty factories with art communes in them.

GVIFlyer likes this.
  11. n2g

n2g

Goodness, guys. All you had to do was get under a school desk and you'd have been fine.

I'm old enough to remember practicing that in elementary school.

God bless our military, past, present, and future.

GVIFlyer, orangejeep06, Bead and 7 others like this.
  12. willie_pete

I'm a Cold War Reenactor now.

coldwar.jpg

;)

13. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Of course, the "duck and cover" and hiding under your desk wouldn't save you from a direct hit, but if the blast was farther away, it would help prevent injuries (especially eye injuries) from flying glass and other debris.

Slackinoff, n2g, Deltic and 1 other person like this.
  14. willie_pete

Our targeting, for the most part, consisted of levels of " nuclear war ". First things hit would be
    Soviet nuclear forces like missile site, bomber base, sub bases, etc.

The next level might be conventional forces.

Next might be military centers like command posts, etc.

Finally, things like economic and industrial war centers; ammunition manufacturers, refineries, power plants.

If the Russians played like we did ( maybe unlikely, but if they thought they might win, they hardly wanted to occupy a radiated country with a demolished infrastructure ) urban population centers were not on the attack list ( unless they were adjacent to one of the other targets.

15. Dragline

Dragline

Those seat backs have scary, creepy faces. :nailbiting:

willie_pete likes this.
  16. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977

When that was being played out there were no ICBMs, or very few, the Reds had to threaten us with and cities were going to be a major target because guidance systems weren't that good, even really good enough to hit an airbase on the other side of the world. In '77 we were told our ICBMs could target E/W/S/or N sides of Moscow while they're s were good enough to just hit NYNY, "Of course they were pretty big in the megaton range.

During Cuba the Reds had very few ICBMs to hit us with which is why they put IRBMs in Cuba in the first place. They mostly had to rely on Bombers which NORAD would have picked off pretty well. They back down on Cuba cause we had them outgunned period! With both ICBMs and Polaris SLBMs AND bombers. I think it was like 10 for every 1 of their's. So duck and cover in those days wasn't a bad idea and better then none.

By the late '60s it became superfluous and especially by my time when we both had 10,000 strategic weapons alone on alert. Even if you did by some miracle survive I'd bet you didn't wish you did. That is unless you were in a billionaires mansion 10,000' underground with the Swedish female beach volleyball team.

The movie "The Day After" was made about an extremely limited nuclear exchange that really wasn't believable. An actual one would have been far, far worse. I don't know what the guys in the silo's thought but we topside knew we were fried.

ithaca_deerslayer, spork and Caver 60 like this.
  17. willie_pete

Nothing but a very direct hit with a big weapon would have dug the Titan crews out. A close by hit would rattle out teeth , but the whole system was on springs, flexible joints, plug valves to isolate systems so no blast could come through piping to get downstairs and blast valves that automatically closed on the smallest over pressure.

When you were underground, you really had a feeling of safety.

One afternoon, the radar intrusion alert system went off and would not reset. That was an automatic Security Alert and we had to call the roving guards to check it out. They responded and looked around topside and finally called me downstairs and said a metal theodolite cover ( think large metal drip pan ) had blown off and wrapped itself around one of the radar's transmit horns.

He said, " Commander, did you know a tornado passed over the site ? "

They could see a path of broken trees leading directly to the site. We looked at the weather station readout downstairs and the chart had gone off scale on wind direction and wind speed.

We didn't have a clue downstairs.

The guards had to stand guard topside until maintenance came out to replace the radar horn seen below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCdiM8YfrME

18. Tvov

Tvov

Back in the '60s Connecticut had Electric Boat (submarines), Colt firearms, Pratt and Whitney, Sikorsky, on and on - along with a bunch of "secret" stuff that I learn about every so often. We still have some of that today, but a lot of the actual factory production has moved away.

We all just assumed we were going to be burnt toast.

Dragline likes this.
  19. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

orangejeep06, pgg00 and BOOSTED12A like this.