Will this side mount adapter work on a SAR-1?

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by mick, Oct 7, 2010.

1. mick

mick

Hi,

I want to mount a red dot sight on my SAR-1. I know, I know ... it's just an AK not a precision rifle. But I'm having trouble using the iron even WITH my glasses. I'm getting old, fellas!

Anyway, I found an inexpensive side-mount adapter but the people who sell it are in China and I emailed them and they don't have much English to work with.

Will some of you guys take a look and tell me if you think this will work OK an the SAR-1? And is this Picatinny or Weaver?http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44089

It's only $16 and it ships free. I'm willing to take the gamble and save $80 on the cost of an Ultimak.

I've dealt with before and bought some great flashlights from them for low dough. I think they ship suing that proverbial slow boat from China but their prices are good.

Thanks,

mick

2. my762buzz

my762buzz

It looks fairly similar to this one
    ( http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-ak-double-picatinny-rail-side-mount-with-quick-detachable-lock-lever-mnt-978.html )
    which is adverstised as Picatinny.

It should fit on your SAR1 just fine.

3. dglockster

dglockster

Sent you a PM.

However, either of the mounts shown below will do what you want. The one on the right is high enough for you co-witness with the iron sights while the one on the left sits right down on top of the rifle.

The side mounts are available at http://www.goodoptics.com/catalog/mounts

[​IMG]

4. rhone89

rhone89

Given how crappy the standard AK sights are, and your own stated experience with them, I wouldn't worry too much about co-witnessing your irons with a scope.... hell, they might drag down the accuracy of the scope, lol.

5. my762buzz

my762buzz

Easy solution to crappy notch and wide post sights.

A much better peep sight with a narrow post.

[​IMG]

6. CBennett

CBennett

Im assuming just from looking that that either mounts on top of or fully replaces the dust cover and would have to be removed every time for cleaning..if so how "loose" is it and how well would it hold a optic...ive looked and really wondered how well those kinds of things work as my sock dust cover isnt exactly falling off loose but its not exactly a tight wiggle free mounting surface either...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  7. my762buzz

my762buzz

It's independent of the dust cover. It's a Krebbs rail mounted to the rear sight block and the rear tang. It hangs just slightly above the dust cover but not connected at all. The hinge mechanism at the front allows the rail to pivot upward whenever you want to remove the dustcover. There is no wiggle whatsoever. The mount is rock solid.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  8. CBennett

CBennett

that may go on my list then lol.....well after looking at it and the price..perhaps not it costs almost as much as my AK did lol.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010