Will this kill me ??

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by G21RAVER, Apr 4, 2007.

1. G21RAVER

G21RAVER

After 3 years of very light phys. exercise (mostly walking fast and trail-biking) due to Dioxin induced diabetes and heart-valve deterioration (muscle-mass also changed to cottage cheese), the Dr has told me I may now begin working out "as normal for a man your age." I am 69 and have a complete medical release. Dr says my heart is about 60-yrs old now, since I've had 7 stents and two ablations (no open-heart surgery.) I am very in-tune with my body, knpw all of its warning signals, still have sex several times a month (her health restrictions, not mine) and have only minor medications (AT LAST ! ! ) How hard may I work out and how much of a change would it make? After Viet Nam I came home and began work as a rail-road maintenance-of-way worker, quickly developing a college-wrestler body, and I want it back !! How close can I get to that ?? I have all kins of equipment available to use for free. Thanks. (let me know if I am totally unrealistic.)

2. Halojumper

Halojumper

I would suggest that anybody here who tries to answer your question in nuts. With your past and present condition, you really need to get your doctor's blessing before starting anything strenous. You should get him to be very specific about limits, including heart rate. What your doctor considers normal for your age might be gardening. He should be able to give you specifics and tell you what to watch for while you are performing them. And the answer might change with time. As you build up, you might be able to do more and more, but you should do it under medical supervision.

3. G21RAVER

G21RAVER

Well, I suppose that's a "no","yes",and "maybe." I do have the doc's permission and some guide-lines. I'll keep you posted. The V.A. has a program for recuperating strength after similar to what I've been through, and first they set a bench-mark to work from. I'm starting there with them, but wanted some in-put from this site as to what may be some of the challenges. Thanks.

4. DBradD

DBradD

:thumbsup:

Best of luck to you! I hope you return to post results.

I have to admit that I was afraid to say anything other than what Halojumper typed, LOL. That question's above my pay grade (which doesn't take much)!

5. G21RAVER

G21RAVER

Well, I don't have to get to a PC to read my mail, so if I end up hospitalized, I can tell you !!

6. wallyglock

wallyglock

about what your limits are with the workout stuff.

not sure you can gain a wrestlers body back at 69, but you can sure make progress if all is done within reason.

i am nearly 60 and work out 2-3 times week, ride my bike to work, and some other long rides from time to time.
    also have a physical active job.
    after rotater cuff surgery i still do a lot but have to watch weight limits on some excersises. that worked on shoulder is just not quits as strong or co-oridanted as the other and this can throw things off balance a bit.

POINT IS know your limits and stay within them, we are not 20 years old anymore !

7. G21RAVER

G21RAVER

Well, I am signed up for cardiac rehab, and when I asked the Dr about my potential, he just smiled and said "That's up to you, laddie." First off I am just interested in getting this "foam cooler" off of my six-pack, and the "floatation device" off my waist. I'll be sure to take the measurments for {before" and "after" specs. I'll keep you informed.

8. Halojumper

Halojumper

Good luck. I too had to go through the cardiac rehab and now am back to a pretty much normal work out routine.

9. G21RAVER

G21RAVER

I didn't have a heart attack, just some strong V-fib incidents. 7 stents and an ablation, and the stress-test I got before being released was normal (for a 69 yr old), so there's not much I can't try, on a slow sloping scale. I'll kep you informed. You all sound very positive, and I appreciate that. Thanks.