Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on building an AR pistol and will only be using lead free brass cased ammo. I want to put a CMC 2lb trigger in it and am planning on ordering the 10.5" upper from BCA. Are there any special modifications I'd have to do and will I be fine with a trigger that light in a 7.62x39 AR build? Also, will most magazines be okay as long as I don't shoot steel cased ammo?

·
MacGyver
7,600 Posts
Trigger weight should have nothing to do with what ammo you use. Any quality AR trigger will be fine.

Why such a light trigger on a pistol, short range SD gun?

Why bother using 7.62x39 if you are going to be using "lead free, brass", why not 300blk instead? Less variables to go wrong with 300blk vs 7.62x39.

Mags don't care what ammo you use...the rest of the gun, may care what mags you use, and how well everything is put together to function as a unit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trigger weight should have nothing to do with what ammo you use. Any quality AR trigger will be fine.

Why such a light trigger on a pistol, short range SD gun?

Why bother using 7.62x39 if you are going to be using "lead free, brass", why not 300blk instead? Less variables to go wrong with 300blk vs 7.62x39.

Mags don't care what ammo you use...the rest of the gun, may care what mags you use, and how well everything is put together to function as a unit.
Cheaper ammo from what I've seen, even with lead free. There seems to be more options for lead free 300 bo but still more expensive over 7.62x39. Also, yes short range sd gun.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
If your building a AR in 7.62x39 and want a lite trigger then use a Hyperfire hypertouch trigger then a 2lb trigger will be reliable with what ever hard mil spec primer your ammo you uses .

·
MacGyver
7,600 Posts
2# trigger on any AR is scary light.

On a pistol AR????? You better think this out, and have a reliable booger finger.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2# trigger on any AR is scary light.

On a pistol AR????? You better think this out, and have a reliable booger finger.
I should clarify, this will mainly be a SHTF pistol, ammo waster and maybe self defense pistol, but that won't be it's only purpose. I already own an AR rifle, so I can always use that mainly for home defense.

·
MacGyver
7,600 Posts
For bullseye, and shooting at dots, 2# is great. For SHTF, and defense -- a 2# trigger is dangerous.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Even a two stage?
The LaRue MBT-2s trigger comes with a 6 pound spring and a 4 pound spring. You might start with the 6 and then drop down to the 4 to try things out. The 4 pound in my AR was a bit too sensitive for my liking (had an unintended double tap on my first range trip) and I went back to 6 pound. Sub 3 pound seems like it would be irresponsible outside of a competition gun.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
2lb triggers only " scary lite " if you have limited trigger time with lite triggers . I hunted with a custom long range rifle that has a 1lb 2oz timney in it for 20 years and the over all trigger movement , take up and over travel is about 1/5th of what even a hyper touch 2 lb trigger has . I have several 22lr rifles with 1lb triggers including a 10/22 based build with a jard 1lb trigger and a my first pistol I learned to shoot with is a colt huntsman when I was 6 years old . I'm sure the trigger was heavier back in 1961 but today its the best handgun trigger I've ever fired . Almost no take up or over travel and an honest 2lbs bone stock trigger . It will make a finely tuned 1911 trigger brake feel like its nothing special .

MY wifes AR pistol has a sig brace and is fired from her shoulder so the hyper touch trigger feels average to her !! When your a little 5'-2 it feels just right .

·
Combat Diver
3,517 Posts
I should clarify, this will mainly be a SHTF pistol, ammo waster and maybe self defense pistol, but that won't be it's only purpose. I already own an AR rifle, so I can always use that mainly for home defense.
It really doesn't matter what the situation is that drives you to engage a human being with this weapon. 2 lbs will be a problem, I promise you.

·
Combat Diver
3,517 Posts
2lb triggers only " scary lite " if you have limited trigger time with lite triggers . I hunted with a custom long range rifle that has a 1lb 2oz timney in it for 20 years and the over all trigger movement , take up and over travel is about 1/5th of what even a hyper touch 2 lb trigger has . I have several 22lr rifles with 1lb triggers including a 10/22 based build with a jard 1lb trigger and a my first pistol I learned to shoot with is a colt huntsman when I was 6 years old . I'm sure the trigger was heavier back in 1961 but today its the best handgun trigger I've ever fired . Almost no take up or over travel and an honest 2lbs bone stock trigger . It will make a finely tuned 1911 trigger brake feel like its nothing special .

MY wifes AR pistol has a sig brace and is fired from her shoulder so the hyper touch trigger feels average to her !! When your a little 5'-2 it feels just right .
Do you think the OP will shoot this weapon as much as you have? If you dedicate your shooting experiences to such a light trigger, that's one thing. I will ask the OP what his level of commitment is.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
fasteddie565 Beats the hail out of me . Its not up to me to figure out what the OP is capable of using . After all the OP asked about a 2lb cmc . If your a basic newbe with long guns then I will say YOU may not be up to the task of a lite single stage trigger group but maybe the same trigger set to a 3.5lb will be fine with nothing but a quick change the springs and its ready !! Now what experience do YOU have with a hyperfire hypertouch trigger ???

Today's hyperfire line up has some different trigger design options choices , some with a set lite pull weights that may or may not work well on hard mil spec primers but I have not researched them yet . There current Genesis model seems to be the same as mine and my wifes older models .

I do know the Hypertouch line will hit a primer harder than mil spec standards but with a light pull weight and is still tunable for pull weight .

Maybe your concerns deal with your training even down to the basic way to pull a mil spec AR trigger ?? You may also feel insecure shooting a SA nicely tuned 3.5lb 1911 as a defensive handgun . NO so why would a hypertouch trigger with 3.5lb spring some pre and post travel movement be scarry to you . Maybe you should research the trigger some first !

·
MacGyver
7,600 Posts
Playing at the range, and being scared off the scale are 2 different realities.

Interviews of police involved, and combat shooters, all have one thing in common-- they do not notice what the trigger felt like, often they don't remember accurately how many rounds they fired.

For safety and piece of mind, a 2# trigger in a combat weapon (SHTF, home defense, qualifies as a combat situation) is not the best option. No do-overs and take backs when that bullet has been launched.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts