Glock Talk banner

Will stock Glock 20 10mm Gen 4 handle double tap 165gr golden sabers?

1867 Views 16 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Schirmer77
I scored 87 rounds at the gun show for $40 bucks. I got 31 golden saber 165 grain. 40 180 grain FMJ Match (these have Mcnett headstamp). 11 gold dots Of unknown weight and 5 of another type of hollow point which might be xtp Hornady. Only the Full Metal Jacket match has mcnett headstamp. Rest has Doubletap stamps. I hear you guys talking a lot about running 21 and 22 lb Springs. What is the threshold that warrants this upgrade? The golden Sabres are rated at 1425 fps. But I think that data uses a 14 and 1/4 inch test Barrel. The Gen 4 have dual recoil springs and I was wondering is a recoil spring upgrade necessary?

Also, when did Mike mcnett use his name for a headstamp? Would this indicate an early production before double tap was formed?

I do not want to change Springs if I don't have to however a stainless steel guide rod sounds appealing. I'm a Sig man. This is my first Glock. I don't even know what material the guide rod is made from yet. I've been working a lot and haven't disassembled it yet.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
2,632 Posts
Thank you for your fast reply. Do you know if a Glock guide rod is fine? Is there any reason to change it to an after-market?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
You're likely to hear different opinions on this, but frankly I've never been a big fan of tinkering with a stock Glock. The first G20 I owned I bought back in 1998. Along with it, I got several boxes of Norma ammo, both 200gr TMJ and 170gr JHPs. The original Norma ammo was hot. My gun ran fine with it and had no issues.

If you're planning to reload and want to assemble full power 10mm loads, an after market barrel wouldn't be a bad idea. Other than that, I would leave it all stock. And if you're just going to shoot factory stuff, even Underwood, I wouldn't even bother using an after market barrel.

· Banned
2,632 Posts
I mainly handload, but will shoot factory ammo periodically. Underwood is very consistent and matches/slightly exceeds (sometimes) advertised specs. DT is notorious for falling short of advertised specs. I have no experience with Sig 10mm ammo, but I've heard great reviews of it...FWIW.

I can't recall the last time I even saw Winchester 175gr STHPs available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.