Glock Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

24,302 Posts
I changed the Guide rod in my Gen3 G20 SF for a stainless steel captured guide rod with the factory weight flat wound spring and it's been good for =over a thousand rounds of Buffalo Bore, double Tap and Underwood loads weighing from 165 to 230 grains and reloads that were mostly 180 grains but I tried some 200 grain Hornady XTP's. None of my reloads were over published maximums.

The double recoil spring of the Gen4's is supposed to be an improvement over the single spring of the gen 3 but the spring I've been using has worked very well for me.
I especially like the fact that it works well with plinking loads and 40 S&W loads.

24,302 Posts
So far the ammunition I have is Sig V crown which by the reviews achieves advertised velocity of 1250 I believe. Then I have the double tap that I mentioned above 165 and 180 grain. But if I am going to order ammunition it would be 175 grain Winchester silver tips if I ever see any appear on GunBroker;

I am tempted to order some Underwood maybe 165 or 180 grain jacketed hollow point.

The Xtreme penetrator is very interesting but I imagine that is considered a Hot Load.

If a load actually achieves the velocity of 1250 to 1300 from a G20 at 180 grains, from my reading I'm led to believe that is considered a full power factory load, probably a little under the max load guidelines for companies to meet their liability standards.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
The Winchester silvertips used to be the best factory load in terms of velocity but the Silvertip bullet itself was a product of an old technology, and also anyone who ever chronographed the ammo usually found that velocities were not up to factory advertised velocities because Winchester chronographed the ammo out of test barrels that were longer than 4 inches.

The best factory ammo today is the Sig V-crown an dI do not mourn the passing of the Winchester silvertip 10mm load. I've shot some of it and it used to be my home defense load but there are better laods today. I just wish Federal would come out with a 180 grain HST load.

I alos like Underwood ammo and have shot a lot of the 180 grain Bonded Gold dot ammo as well as the 220 grain flatpoint hardcast.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-grain-bonded-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.