Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored 87 rounds at the gun show for $40 bucks. I got 31 golden saber 165 grain. 40 180 grain FMJ Match (these have Mcnett headstamp). 11 gold dots Of unknown weight and 5 of another type of hollow point which might be xtp Hornady. Only the Full Metal Jacket match has mcnett headstamp. Rest has Doubletap stamps. I hear you guys talking a lot about running 21 and 22 lb Springs. What is the threshold that warrants this upgrade? The golden Sabres are rated at 1425 fps. But I think that data uses a 14 and 1/4 inch test Barrel. The Gen 4 have dual recoil springs and I was wondering is a recoil spring upgrade necessary?

Also, when did Mike mcnett use his name for a headstamp? Would this indicate an early production before double tap was formed?

I do not want to change Springs if I don't have to however a stainless steel guide rod sounds appealing. I'm a Sig man. This is my first Glock. I don't even know what material the guide rod is made from yet. I've been working a lot and haven't disassembled it yet.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, a totally stock 20 will handle it fine. However if you reload you may have a problem with the brass.

But yes, it's safe to shoot that factory load without any modifications.
Thank you for your fast reply. Do you know if a Glock guide rod is fine? Is there any reason to change it to an after-market?

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Thank you for your fast reply. Do you know if a Glock guide rod is fine? Is there any reason to change it to an after-market?

You're likely to hear different opinions on this, but frankly I've never been a big fan of tinkering with a stock Glock. The first G20 I owned I bought back in 1998. Along with it, I got several boxes of Norma ammo, both 200gr TMJ and 170gr JHPs. The original Norma ammo was hot. My gun ran fine with it and had no issues.

If you're planning to reload and want to assemble full power 10mm loads, an after market barrel wouldn't be a bad idea. Other than that, I would leave it all stock. And if you're just going to shoot factory stuff, even Underwood, I wouldn't even bother using an after market barrel.

·
20,713 Posts
I changed the Guide rod in my Gen3 G20 SF for a stainless steel captured guide rod with the factory weight flat wound spring and it's been good for =over a thousand rounds of Buffalo Bore, double Tap and Underwood loads weighing from 165 to 230 grains and reloads that were mostly 180 grains but I tried some 200 grain Hornady XTP's. None of my reloads were over published maximums.

The double recoil spring of the Gen4's is supposed to be an improvement over the single spring of the gen 3 but the spring I've been using has worked very well for me.
I especially like the fact that it works well with plinking loads and 40 S&W loads.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
A standard 180 grain load of 1250 to 1300fps suits me. I will stay stock. I'm not interested in shooting 40 S&W from it, and I do not reload. It will be Factory stuff, names with good reputation.

There was some loads for sale at the gun show but they were made by some guy in his garage. I understand that is how double tap started out but he made a name for himself with quality ammunition from the start. I only trust what gets good reviews. But You never know what you might run into. I have had Winchester Supreme rifle cartridges not even crimped. you could pull the bullets right out of the cartridge case. I've also had to bump back to shoulder on some Federal Premium rifle cartridges that were too tight to turn the bolt home in my Sako. I am not a reloader but my father is I had to purchase a bump back die and use his equipment.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
You don't have to be Issac Newton to understand that if you are shooting a wide range of power factors, with some of those loads a single spring weight will be suboptimal. There are two places to watch as it pertains to what recoil spring setup will be optimal for a given load.

The first area that seems to crop up is feed reliability. Some people report feed issues when shooting some of the hotter commercial offerings like Underwood, Buffalo Bore, etc. There is a thread in GT right now regarding a G20 owner that found a heavier AM spring cured a failure to extract issue he was having. Others report double feeds, etc. (Sometimes these are addressed with heavier magazine springs). I have a lot of 10mm down range from my Glocks and never really experienced any feed issues regardless of the RSA weight I was running, so YMMV.

The second area to watch is slide to frame battering. With very hot loads, the slide velocities can be quite high. Things like grip, stance, arm strength all will change this dynamic, much like it does for feed reliability with other calibers and lighter loadings. The way you can determine if your recoil spring weight is keeping the slide from battering the frame when shooting a given hot load is after a few boxes of the stuff, field strip the gun and look at the plastic right in front of the front slide lugs. This is the area the spring perch part of the slide will impact the frame if it is going to under a heavy loading. You will start to see the imprint of the slide there. In extreme cases that area will start to peen over and can cause function problems, but that usually takes quite a bit of rounds.

I use a 22lb flat wire ISMI spring on a stainless guide rod for my G20's. It keeps the slide off the frame under my heaviest loadings and will cycle even lighter 40S&W loads, although I do install the stock guide rod if I am running a lot of 40 target loads through the gun.

The G20 is a marvelous gun, enjoy it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I prefer a steel guide rod. So I put a captured SS guide rod from Lone Wolf and a 20 pound spring for heavy handloads. I also have another SS guide rod with a factory weight (17 pound) spring.

Target or range loads like Blazer or S&B don't always function with the heavier spring, so I made up a RSA with a standard weight spring.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far the ammunition I have is Sig V crown which by the reviews achieves advertised velocity of 1250 I believe. Then I have the double tap that I mentioned above 165 and 180 grain. But if I am going to order ammunition it would be 175 grain Winchester silver tips if I ever see any appear on GunBroker;

I am tempted to order some Underwood maybe 165 or 180 grain jacketed hollow point.

The Xtreme penetrator is very interesting but I imagine that is considered a Hot Load.

If a load actually achieves the velocity of 1250 to 1300 from a G20 at 180 grains, from my reading I'm led to believe that is considered a full power factory load, probably a little under the max load guidelines for companies to meet their liability standards.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
I mainly handload, but will shoot factory ammo periodically. Underwood is very consistent and matches/slightly exceeds (sometimes) advertised specs. DT is notorious for falling short of advertised specs. I have no experience with Sig 10mm ammo, but I've heard great reviews of it...FWIW.

I can't recall the last time I even saw Winchester 175gr STHPs available.

Reactions: WeeWilly

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
So far the ammunition I have is Sig V crown which by the reviews achieves advertised velocity of 1250 I believe. Then I have the double tap that I mentioned above 165 and 180 grain. But if I am going to order ammunition it would be 175 grain Winchester silver tips if I ever see any appear on GunBroker;

I am tempted to order some Underwood maybe 165 or 180 grain jacketed hollow point.

The Xtreme penetrator is very interesting but I imagine that is considered a Hot Load.

If a load actually achieves the velocity of 1250 to 1300 from a G20 at 180 grains, from my reading I'm led to believe that is considered a full power factory load, probably a little under the max load guidelines for companies to meet their liability standards.

1250 to 1300fps for a 180gr jacketed is a "full 10mm load" and some.

Using my OEM barrel, I start getting case smiles (shearing of the case down by the head by the feed ramp) if I load much above about 1325fps for a 180gr jacketed.

Like Danny, I found Underwood and BB both pretty much reach "advertised velocity", Double Tap, not quite as much (but plenty for any practical application). I have read great reports of the newer SIG V Crown offerings, but have not shot any myself. Again, 1250fps is a lot of handgun in a 180gr bullet.

I have found the optimal "SD" style loading is a Gold Dot at 1150fps. It gives me a ton of terminal performance and is very manageable for quick follow-up shots. For trail work, I load a 200gr WFNGC bullet to 1200fps. That is very achievable for less than max loadings in a G20 and a little bit hot for my G29, but still not risking breaking anything. That bullet is an express freight train.

Good luck, have fun.

·
20,713 Posts

The Winchester silvertips used to be the best factory load in terms of velocity but the Silvertip bullet itself was a product of an old technology, and also anyone who ever chronographed the ammo usually found that velocities were not up to factory advertised velocities because Winchester chronographed the ammo out of test barrels that were longer than 4 inches.

The best factory ammo today is the Sig V-crown an dI do not mourn the passing of the Winchester silvertip 10mm load. I've shot some of it and it used to be my home defense load but there are better laods today. I just wish Federal would come out with a 180 grain HST load.

I alos like Underwood ammo and have shot a lot of the 180 grain Bonded Gold dot ammo as well as the 220 grain flatpoint hardcast.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-grain-bonded-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I'm settled on just picking up some more Sig v crown. I will hang onto the double tap also. It was a good buy at 40 bucks for 87 rounds. they are $50 for 50 rounds from Double Tap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.