GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I love pastries. I used to love those little white powdered doughnuts. Now when I see them, they look like poison. The way I feel is much better than the feeling of eating the sweets. They are like soda, once you get away from them for a while, you don't know what the attraction was. It could be that those of us who see significant improvement are "gluten insensitive" and the payoff is worth it, where some people are not gluten insensitive and don't see results enough to cause the change. After a month, I knew gluten free was for me.

"She went full on no wheat products at all, not just Gluten free." I wasn't aware there was a difference.

I read a biotech article a few weeks ago about a company developing a drug that allows celiacs to eat gluten. That would be cool. I would much rather see food companies and farmers going back to the old heirloom wheat, but that's not likely seeing how what they have now was bred for profit.

As for your wife and the sex drive thing..... maybe you could change your hair color or something. Grow a pony tail. IOW, it might not be the gluten......:whistling:
Ha, ha. The truth hurts. ;)

I am afraid we have been together so long, if I came home with a different hair color, her first call would be to one of those government hotlines asking they come and take my guns away. I can't think of anything I might do that would be more out of character. :)

I am no expert in the subject at all, I have seen gluten free bread, I just thought it was wheat that they had removed the gluten, maybe it is a different grain, don't know. In any case, going wheat free has helped my wife, she is back to her 95lbs (she never gained a lot of weight as she always swims, yoga, etc), but she did have a tummy that has pretty much gone away. She says her inflammation is almost nonexistent. She is big believer in the evil grain theory.

·
Aw sheet main
1,555 Posts
I am no expert in the subject at all, I have seen gluten free bread, I just thought it was wheat that they had removed the gluten, maybe it is a different grain, don't know.
Typically, it's a different grain. It's best to steer away from substitution because grains are basically a family. Other grains might not have "gluten" proper, but they have a similar component that might not be as detrimental as gluten, but can have an effect. If everyone who avoided gluten went to substitution with another grain flour, in 15 years we might find we have a problem with the substitution.

It's like sweets. It's best to get completely off of them without getting as close to the line as possible without crossing.

The most interesting aspect of eating gluten free is that every successful diet program is basically is rooted in removing gluten. Low carb, removes gluten among other things. Paleo, removes gluten. Even though the "diet outline" in the two doesn't specifically indicate gluten removal as the reason for success, both are very effective ways of eating for managing weight and improving health.

·
Cranky Member
1,447 Posts
Because I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who would sit in the greasy spoon and think "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the big rack of Barbecued spare ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I *want* high cholesterol. I want to eat bacon, butter and buckets of cheese alright? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in a non-smoking section. I wanna run around naked with green jell-o all over my body reading a Playboy magazine. Why? Because maybe I feel the need to okay pal? I've *seen* the future, you know what it is. It's made by a 47 year-old virgin in gray pajamas soaking in a bubble bath, drinking a broccoli milkshake and thinking "I'm an Oscar-Meyer Wiener".

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
The news often discusses how soda is so awful for you. The sugar in traditional soda, awful artificial sweeteners in diet soda. The claims that soda contributes to obesity, decreased kidney function, diabetes, tooth decay, heart burn etc. Some have even argued soda may contribute to heart disease and cancer. Many schools are now banning soda machines.

Do you think people will look back in say 40 years and think of soda as our generation's tobacco? A ubiquitous drink that is widely accepted by mainstream society as pretty harmless.

Is it possible that one day soda will be forbidden to market to kids? Or do you feel the media is on a witch hunt against soda giants like Coke and Pepsi?
No not even close!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts