Will slide finish rub off?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dallas cowboy, Mar 30, 2010.

1. dallas cowboy

dallas cowboy

Just bought a Tagua holster for my glock23. Not to sound dumb or anything but will the constant rubbing of the gun on the leather rub off some of the finish on the slide?

2. olefirefighter

olefirefighter

I have had my 27 for about 13 years.. still looks good and it gets kicked around. Others may say different.. only top of front sight shows wear...

3. rboatright

rboatright

Eventually yes. Be aware that the black finish is not the Nitrited "Tennifer" anti-corrosion coating which is embedded in the top few um of the metal. The black is a surface coating which can be replaced, or polished off for a shiny surface if you like that.

4. dallas cowboy

dallas cowboy

Yea I figured. I guess I'll be searching for a coating website in the future :supergrin:.

I like the look of the polished slide a lot but this is my only firearm as of now and i use it as my concealed handgun. I'll definitely look into polishing the slide in the future when I get my 2nd or 3rd gun

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  5. gunreviewonmyspace

gunreviewonmyspace havegunwillgo

I have used glocks for a couple years now, carry one every day. I have found a very slight fading in one model 19s slide, after thousands of draws from a leather belt holster. SLIGHT being the key word. Wouldn't worry a second about it! No rust yet, and my others are going strong. However, if you are worried about it being "pretty", use polymer or plastic holsters, they won't wear as fast on finishes.

On a side note, I think fading in a finish is classy, and makes the gun look more dignified, and beautiful. Shows it has been trusted for a long time.

6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

In my opinion it does not matter. Glocks are, to me, utility guns and as long as you take minimum care of them they will do what they are suppose to.

7. mr smithglock

mr smithglock

After lots of holstering and reholstering yes. I like the look of a used glock.