Will ranges be crowded, post-coronavirus?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by CaliDBA, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

IDK...perhaps there will be an initial surge, but only if the folks have gas $ and ammo...recreational shooting is kinda low on the list if there is not $ for food on the table...either way, I always go at dawn ( when the range opens) so I can shoot as I want w/o any newbies or gun-waving miscreants

CaliDBA likes this.
  2. Rick James45

Rick James45

I know a lot of people that ask me "I want a gun, what kind", or "I want to learn to shoot". Blah blah blah. You make some comments, but 95% of them are not serious, or something like CV19 comes along.

Then you get one that bites and you make a recommendation that next Sunday let me take you to the range and spend some time educating and with a few guns to see what you like. OK, great - by Saturday some turds Birthday party is on Sunday, cant go. This cycle can go on for years. - I loose interest, they know it and do not ask anymore.

OK, one passes the above. They love the PewPew123. Its ~$550 at the the LGS. They spend a month trying to find it cheaper. Then realize decent SDA is $25 a pop. They remember your recommendation of at least 500 rounds of range time of FMJ and ~200 rounds of SDA to make sure everything is cool. Nope - not biting in the end. But guess, what they got a new Xbox One X and a 75" last weekend.

To be crass - F'em.

There are exceptions. I know a couple that contacted me a few years ago. Went through the process and they are super avid shooters now. They made the investment, they take the time. Both are CWP holders. They realize shooting is a perishable skill that needs maintenance.

My pessimism is getting a bit stronger. Now when I get approached I start thinking about the conversation 6 months ago with person X. The conversation about why do we need x type guns and why can't you wait 10 days. Blah Blah Blah. Now - I just pass on the conversation and ask about their latest COD conquest.

No, I don't think ranges will be packed a year from now. Remember 911, American flags everywhere. Today, it can be considered insulting to solute and fly the American Flag.

Fickle Fickle Fickle

CaliDBA likes this.

3. Patchman

Patchman Florist

In the current surge of gun buying, I hope a lot are buying Ruger SP101s. A year from now, I wouldn't mind picking up 1 or 2 very-slightly-used SP101 at good prices.

CaliDBA likes this.
  4. fiasconva

fiasconva

I have a feeling the ranges will be crowded for a short time while the new owners who knew nothing about firearms try them out. Then there will be tons of them for sale when they find out that "real guns" are loud and have a recoil when you shoot them. "They don't do that on tv."

Patchman and CaliDBA like this.
  5. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Unless the 500 they spent is desperately needed. I’m staying in good with the local shop owners so I can get first dibs on like new used guns.

CaliDBA and Valmet like this.
  6. plp

plp

Our local range guy handed me 3 wooden chips today, when I went to gain street cred, because it has been so long since I have actually pulled a trigger.

Put about 80 rounds through my carry gun, about 120 through the 17L (God forgive me, that is better than procreation) and 40 or so through the Savage Scout, offhand, at the 300 yard steel silhouette. I hit it maybe, 15-20 times?, not sure, ears are totally screwed, am going off of the target rocking back and forth.

The wood chips are free training, will run whomever through his basic NRA Firearms Safety course. He is my man.

-JCN-, CaliDBA and Cambo like this.
  7. IvanVic

IvanVic

I suspect most of these new gun owners will never shoot their gun, but the ranges will be busy from pent up demand eventually.

I can’t support it with statistics, but based on my anecdotal experience, your run of the mill indoor shooting range is not exactly a safe place. I stopped using them a while back ago and only use outdoor/private ranges to shoot. I saw too many jackasses over the years, it’s also not enjoyable to shoot indoors IMO.

CaliDBA likes this.
  8. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I expect there will be an initial surge, mostly of people who already go to the range, but aren't going currently, but I don't expect to see many of the panic buyers there. Using a friend of mine as an example, he bought a handgun during the Sandy Hook panic. He picked up a used S&W .40, because it was the cheapest gun he could find. It hasn't been fired since. I think some of the new owners my want to try out their purchase. I think some new owners think they may have found a new hobby, but will soon lose interest. Some new owners wanted to buy anyway and this was the nudge that made them take the plunge. I think that much of the rush has been from people who already own firearms. I also think this last group is who will most likely sell off their panic purchase in order to "thin out the herd".

CaliDBA likes this.
  9. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

nor the right that afforded them to do so. quite the contrary...

CaliDBA and collim1 like this.
  10. sonoma

sonoma

I went to my indoor range today for 2 hours.I was the only one there for the first hour.Usually have to wait to get in the door.

CaliDBA likes this.
  11. Eradicator

Eradicator

The indoor range where I belong is privately owned & is still open under the Defense Act---"have to provide training for servicemen and police" was the listed reason.

My guess for the future is that there will be a small surge, then drop off to normal levels. Never know though, folks could get a new hobby!

erad

CaliDBA likes this.