Will ranges be crowded, post-coronavirus?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by CaliDBA, Mar 27, 2020.

1. fx77

fx77 CLM

In my AO all public ranges are closed.
    Some private ones of which I know are closed.
    There will be pent up demand when they reopen.

CaliDBA likes this.
  2. Intolerant

Intolerant

I worry about where some of these guns will end up when the panic & fear ends. Some of these yutes will just sell them on the street. Likely end up in the wrongs hands most likely. What ever ammo they bought with the gun will likely be given away with the gun. I see big problems ahead of this BS. Next thing we know, the anti-gun turds will be screaming MORE LAWS MORE LAWS!

CaliDBA likes this.

3. grumpy1

grumpy1

They won't sell them off once they find out what a used Taurus or Hi Point bring at the local gun store or pawn shop.

A very very small percentage of gun owners go to the range regularly anyhow. Here in Chicago metro area there are about a dozen ranges for a population of almost 10,000,000 people and the ranges are only busy on the weekends.

CaliDBA likes this.
  4. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

Yes. I am actively experiencing gym and range withdrawals now.

Cambo, GlockyQ, -JCN- and 1 other person like this.
  5. cbetts1

cbetts1

There will be a few new shooters, but most guns will never see light until they sell it. It's amazing how fast people get complacent.

CaliDBA likes this.
  6. oldmick

oldmick

Interesting question. My sense has always been that MOST people who own firearms rarely shoot them.

and MOST people who have a carry license/permit don’t carry.

And that MOST people never take continuing education to advance their skills.

That said, I also think MOST new gun owners will put their new firearm up on a shelf, or in a drawer or under the bed and never go to the range.

But that’s all based on anecdotal evidence, so what the heck do I know. :)

cbetts1, Rick James45 and CaliDBA like this.
  7. CaliDBA

CaliDBA

Tell the truth, R.B.Riddick - I really wish I could get out and do some shooting!

-JCN- likes this.
  8. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

I have cleaned ALL of my firearms and magazines. Going to the range and working out are my main hobbies. I have gym equipment, but no where to shoot in my area because of the shutdown ;(

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Cambo, GlockyQ and CaliDBA like this.
  9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I'm probably going to the range this weekend, in hopes that the chain-smoking old-timers won't be there crowding in beside me. Hopefully the 20-something rednecks blasting cans with their ARs will also be in coronavirus panic.

CaliDBA likes this.
  10. fg17

fg17

I don’t think so. If anything there will probably be less people attending competitions and other events where larger crowds gather for a long time to come.

CaliDBA likes this.
  11. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

Haha... Hell no. The market is going to be flooded with never fired or once-fired firearms. The display cases will be three deep. Good for us.

CaliDBA, OXMYX and Quijibo like this.
  12. Patchman

Patchman Florist

The vast, vast majority of new gun purchasers who are now panicing to buy guns will continue to believe that simply owning a gun is a talisman to ward off evil.

So even if only (say) 20-percent of those new owners go to the range once, that's an opportunity to increase someone to be pro-2A. Of that 20-percent, hope that 5 percent of them will realize the importance of, and become supporters, of the 2A.

CaliDBA likes this.
  13. CBennett

CBennett

I think yes, people will be happy to get out and do stuff..I think everything right now that is closed will be super busy. I mean i went to the lake today it was sunny and 61 here in PA it was like a weekend in May up there people out all over 15 boats on the lake families walking/hiking etc,etc...

CaliDBA likes this.
  14. John Watson

John Watson

Well, if they choose to sell off the new guns they purchased, I can promise you one thing, they will want what they paid for them or more. That is, if current trends here in Texas is any indication. People are a asking msrp or more for used firearms. Don't get me started on the custom pistols being offered for sale and their asking prices.

OXMYX likes this.
  15. OXMYX

OXMYX

Current gun owners shoot maybe a box of 50 twice a year, including police.

I doubt I’ll see more than usual here, folks are too lazy.

CaliDBA likes this.
  16. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

I'm looking forward to adding a few LNIB shotguns to the herd in a few months. :af:

CaliDBA likes this.
  17. Terry G

Terry G

I agree with a lot of poster's here. The "I've got to get a gun" thing has happened many times before. The first time I remember is when Martin Luther King got shot and the cities blew up. Gun stores in the suburbs of Chicago were sold out in no time. Things cooled down quick when Richard J. Daley hizzoner the Mayor, told the cop's to start shooting looter's. Anyway, by the end of Summer the shop's were bursting with consignment guns going for half price or less. I see this happening again. It's mass hysteria and will mean many gun's will be a glut on the used market. I just hope there won't be a lot of accident's that will blow back on serious shooter's.

CaliDBA likes this.
  18. bac1023

bac1023

Maybe

Many of the clowns I saw panic buying would be lucky to even know which end of the gun to hold. Scary.

CaliDBA likes this.
  19. PzGren

PzGren

Not just new gun owner should learn how to shoot. I am a member at a commercial gun range and store and find that plenty of gun owners are marginal at gun handling and definitely lousy shots!

MedicineBow and CaliDBA like this.
  20. PzGren

PzGren

That is definitely different here in Texas. I live in a town of about 20,000 a good 20 miles east of downtown Dallas and the local indoor range has a total of 15 lanes. If I go in the afternoon, even during the week, often enough all lanes are used and there is a wait.

CaliDBA and -JCN- like this.