close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured Will people miss the polygonal barrel ??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by quantico, Sep 2, 2017.

1. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

i don't know if the new barrel is done the way it is for accuracy or cost... I don't like that it can't be swapped with other glocks. I think police departments will find that it's going to be far easier to match bullet and gun for evidence after a shooting... so your gen 5 will be far more easy to trace projectiles... back to your gun.

I don't know if most people care... I guess I will care if it's harder to clean well.. I always thought the glock barrel was pretty easy to clean well. I never felt glocks were very accurate guns.. maybe that image will change ??

trooper2899 likes this.
  2. Bruce M

Bruce M

It would be interesting to find out whether or not there is any appreciable difference in manufacturing cost.

Tank41 and DKSmith45 like this.

3. JONM78

JONM78

Why are you worried about police tracing projectiles used in crimes to your gun?

4. Travispitt

Travispitt

Yeah that's an odd thing to worry about. Unless you're a criminal

AdamWest436 and JONM78 like this.
  5. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

No idea if true but supposedly changed to meet the MHS service requirement for 50 meter accuracy. I'd note many military accuracy requirements are for 50 or more rounds, not 5 if that means anything.

I have heard master class shooters discussing that the Glock bbl is fine for "A's" at 25 but so-so at further ranges, so maybe something to it.

As I understand it this is a hexagonal rifling, not the traditional cut rifling some police department requested several years back. As I'm not a serial killer or international assasin the marks thing is pretty much moot to me. :).

Von Baren and Buckshot Barry like this.
  6. dudel

dudel

Seems like Glock is trying to push some obsolescence. If they don't bring out some more calibers in Gen5; this is going to be a short branch on the family tree!

phil evans likes this.
  7. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

All pistols should be Glocks, all Glocks should be Gen 5 :dancingbanana:

dissipator16, BDW, Aslan and 5 others like this.
  8. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

If you could read well.. I made a statement about the guns being more able to trace. Then I said that I care about how easy the barrel is to clean. Both statements that I made are factual.. yours is derogatory...

9. DrewBone

DrewBone

Oh it's "hexagonal" rifling alright, a rather elequent way of describing the typical 6 lands and grooves barrel rifling:

[​IMG]

Referred to by Glock as the GMB, or "Glock Marksman Barrel", it's nothing special or groundbreaking, but Glock sure makes it sound that way, eh?! Read more about the Gen5 here:

http://www.recoilweb.com/inside-the-glock-gen-5-129141.html

F14A, Earl Smith and Ranger357 like this.
  10. BROvet04

BROvet04

Shot both models today. I won't miss the old barrels at all. I'm more accurate with the Gen 5. For whatever that's worth. Guess lead bullets won't be an issue anymore?

11. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

How could anyone miss them? They're enough of them out there that if they stopped production today you'd never know it.

AdamWest436 and timmay like this.
  12. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

We can only hope.

dudel likes this.
  13. DienBienPhu

DienBienPhu Glock pistols designed by Gaston Glock , Austria

Im guessing the real reason to change the barrel rifling was easier to manufacture / cost
    makes it easier to contract barrel manufacture to other companies to save on costs, the polygonal barrels require special machinery / equipment.

I think GLOCK went backwards in technology with the new "Marksman barrels" / standard barrels.

BDW, DaBurna and samnchu01 like this.
  14. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

Bingo. Anyone can spit out a barrel for them with standard rifling. Much easier to sub out to China to save a few bucks on manufacturing costs.

15. BROvet04

BROvet04

Sub to China is not the Austrian way believe me. The fact is that that's what the FBI wanted and that's how they designed it around the Govt required specs. Austrians and German people are sticklers about attention to detail. They would never do that. What would you say if I told you the milling machines to make USA pistols are controlled by Austrian workers remotely. Hint hint.

treg likes this.
  16. fastbolt

fastbolt

Since the new Gen5 rifled barrel was produced to meet a stated spec for the requesting agency in a bid, it's not unreasonable to consider the agency had a reason for making the requested change. What other reason would Glock need to make the change?

Now, if the Gen5 barrel actually proves to be offer a substantial benefit for commercial owners, it's probably not unreasonable to consider the possibility of Glock deciding to transition from poly/hex barrels to rifled barrels in their regular Gen3/4 models at some point.

In the meantime, the gov and commercial purchasers of the Gen5 can decide for themselves if they're satisfied with the change, compared to the poly/hex barrels.

I rather doubt the difference in barrel manufacture is going to be a major expense or inconvenience to Glock, one way or the other.

Tempest in a teapot.

RichardB and Nestor like this.
  17. Travispitt

Travispitt

I can read just fine thank you.

Booterman likes this.
  18. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

IMG_0398.GIF Hey, let's check YouTube, see if Hickock45 did a video yet !

19. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

Mediabug, F14A and SRT Shaft like this.
  20. GRR

GRR

Handloads will still be an issue. Don't know of many commercial 9mm bare lead ammo providers.