will or trust?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FreakyBig, Oct 17, 2010.

1. FreakyBig

FreakyBig Massive Member

I know that I should have taken care of this a long time ago, but I need to get something set up soon. We have a 3 year old so my main goal is to designate a legal guardian for her in case that something happened to both myself and my wife at the same time.

The main reason we have put this off is that we were in disagreement on who's parents we would designate, but I'm going to have to just give in and let her win this battle because I've come to realize that, given the unlikelihood of something happening to us at the same time, it is better to have my daughter with my wife's parents rather than put in foster care, even temporarily, given the situation.

My other focus is that I have $850K in life insurance set up on each of us and want to make sure that the money left to my daughter will not be able to be touched by my in-laws for anything other than the care of my daughter. I can just picture a new wing being built on the house and a fleet of Mercedes sitting in the driveway. I assume I can setup one of my parents as an executor of the estate and able to approve any spending of the life insurance money? Does this have to be done in a trust?

I know that a gun forum is probably not the best place to seek legal advice, but I'm just looking for ideas and do intend to seek professional advice. I just don't know much about the subject at this point and would like to have something established without spending alot of money. A friend of mine told to check out legalzoom.com, anyone have any experience with them?

2. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

3. GamerGirl

GamerGirl 100% Relevant

Get a trust.

The child + the money means a trust is the best option.