close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Will high gas prices change your behavior? How bad are you being hurt?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dexters, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Dexters

Dexters

are expected to peak upwards of $4.00 per gallon (potentially as high as $4.25 per gallon nationally)

http://augustafreepress.com/2012/03/18/aaa-gas-prices-continue-climb/

I'm retired, and have a RV. If gas prices get too high I stay in some places longer or go home. Last month I spent $600 for gas - $430 to get from GA. To CO. The cost to stay in the RV park for a month is $400 - including electricity.

According to the politicians people are dealing with the high gas prices. I just don't know how they are doing it. Every way you turn people are getting hurt by high food and energy costs. I can only guess more people are living paycheck to paycheck and maybe putting more things on credit cards.

So, how are you dealing with high energy costs?
    How is it affecting you?

2. tongix

tongix

$4 a gallon is just a few weeks fromnow or by summer. Its gonna hurt but life has to go on.

3. hammerkill

hammerkill chinese name but all american Silver Member

Got rid of my motorhome a long time ago. It was a money pit. Gas prices aren't hurting me a bit because I could cut back a lot without much trouble..

montani semper liberi quid?

4. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

it sucks, still gotta go to work which is 90% of my driving

5. jpa

jpa CLM

I'm not going out as much and when I do it involves multiple stops and I'm gone longer at one time.

6. RimfireMan

RimfireMan

Funny that when gas is cheap, people (even posters here on GT) proclaim that they will never give up their gas guzzlers. When gas prices go up, they change their tune. Guess it depends on which way the wind blows.

7. tongix

tongix

Bike prices and sales are on the rise . Cause and effect in all things.

8. Dexters

Dexters

I just looked it up - last year I spent $2,550 for gas - so far this year $1,250

9. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

It will suck, but even at $4 a gallon we are only spending 3% of our income a month on gas for two vehicles. We save about 20% a month.

I would gladly pay $5 or $6 a gallon if it ensures BHO is a one term President.

10. thejellster05

thejellster05

That's dedication.... I would too as long as Romney isn't running things....

sent from the interwebz using a Sony Bravia

11. Tango 1Zero

Tango 1Zero Millennium Member

Gas prices are killing us. My wife just went back to full time and with the gas prices going up we will put it right back in the tank.

12. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Sad to say, but $5/gal doesn't make much of a difference than $4/gal does.

$80 for a fill-up or $100 for a fill up. It sucks, but if you wanna combat it, then take your lunch to work for two days and you make up the difference. Lots of areas of life could take a snip and you'd really not suffer too much at the pump. :)

13. CAcop

CAcop

Not much will change in terms of day to day. I don't really drive just to drive. I suppose I might be more careful to plan my errands more effectively. The winter is when I do more leisure driving, I go skiing and burn probably $200+ in gas per trip. Most of my driving is going to work and back. Maybe once a week the wife and I will go maybe 200 miles round trip for a day trip. The rest is the grocery store and other in town errands.

In the summer when gas prices go up the wife and I will take longer trips and then flying with renting a car makes more sense.

Remember gas has been over $4.00 per gallon for a month now where I live at the edge of the Bay Area. We will probably hit $5 sometime before July.

14. Glock!9

Glock!9

Does not reall affect us that much. I work from home 85% and my wife will be switching to 65% at home

15. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

It really won't affect my habits too much. It's just the cost of living. I may cut back on the times I grill a steak this summer, but I'll still fill up my pontoon and ski boat when visitors want to enjoy the lake.

10,000 miles/yr @ 20mpg @ $4/gal = $2,000. Cutting gas to $2/gal would be nice, but it's not going to let me retire 10 years early. I have other expenses that match that.

16. RayB

RayB Retired Member

$10.00 a gallon gas wouldn't hit me hard--at the pump. :dunno:

The problem is, everything I consume arrives by gas and diesel, and I'll be paying those absurd fuel prices with everything I buy! :shocked:

Last spring I rented and watched The West Wing via NETFLIX, and those highly charismatic Libtards were touting $5.00/gallon gas back in 2002 as "The best thing that could happen to America..." :eyebrow:

Of course, they never think anything really through--like food prices! They were stuck on MMGW and air pollution. :upeyes:

--Ray

17. JK-linux

JK-linux

I'll probably run errands more efficiently and whatnot. I plan to paint my house and seal the driveway this summer, but will likely buy paint and sealant in the next week or so as petrochemical items in general are going up as well. My life won't change much, other than having less cash available to spend on nonessentials. I did already buy 25 gallons of nonoxygenated gas and Stabil to ready the generator for spring storms as well.

18. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

My wife & I carpool together now when possible.....need to save money for summer! My boat gets 1.5mpg. 454 you know, Mike.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Won't effect me much. I only drive to town about once a week. I was suprised when I filled up yesterday that gas was $3.70 plus at Wal Mart.

Diesel fuel for my tractors will effect me more than car gas and that won't be much of a problem.

But of course because of high fuel prices EVERYTHING else increases in price to.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  20. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

How I'm dealing with the high gas prices?

I think I'm going to stroke n bore my z28 from a 350 to a 383. That's over 6 liters of displacement in my V8!

Next I'll go to the closest parking lot, do some burn outs, then maybe cruise around and look for ricers or other muscle cars to race. Then who knows, maybe I'll fill my tank up and burn another half tank before I get tired, go home, and crank up my AC and heater at the same time with all my windows and doors open. :cool: