Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Mall Cop Expert
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if Glock will match the new Springfield XD (M) model and the new S&W M&P Professional model. How much of an advantage would giving all Glocks a match grade barrel be (if any). Does a match grade barrel really make that big a difference??:shocked:

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin

·
NRA Member
2,412 Posts
I wonder if Glock will match the new Springfield XD (M) model and the new S&W M&P Professional model. How much of an advantage would giving all Glocks a match grade barrel be (if any). Does a match grade barrel really make that big a difference??:shocked:

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin
If I wanted to shoot matches or only at the range, then I might consider a match-grade barrel. Since I use my Glocks for home and personal defense, I want reliability more than I want the extra 5% of accuracy.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I think the Glock long slides (34, 35, 17L, 24) are already the competition for these competitors. Glock is and has been on top, these others companies are the ones trying to step it up. I don't see Glock creating anything new in response to these new offerings.

"Match barrel" has become nothing more than a marketing tool IMO.

Some people I shoot with love their XD's and M&P's, I prefer Glocks.

·
Banned
13,711 Posts
I think its the other way around. Springfield and SW had to step up to match Glock.

Seriously, everyone has been chasing them for years.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My buddy has an XDm, i did not notice that much of a difference in accuracy between my G22 and his XDm. if anything it had better trigger and maybe maybe very very slightly tighter groups out further than 15 yards... but at 7-10 yards i notice NOTHING that makes up for the $110 + Springfield "advantage"

Dont get me wrong its a good gun but for price i dunno rather save a few and get a regular XD just my $.02

I agree with soundwave on the Match barrel hype...Match barrels are good but they are using it for marketing not accuracy

·
Retired Member
9,202 Posts
The market place is still reacting to Glock. Glock doesn't need to "step up". I'm sure they're paying attention, though.

Just a few points come to mind:

Match Grade Barrels: Glock sells ready-to-use, reliable most anywhere in the world, combat handguns. Match Grade Barrels would not improve the bottom line here.

External Safeties, De-Cockers, Etc. You don't think Gaston Glock was aware of all these doodads, and consciously avoided them, when producing his design? They were, in fact, by design eliminated. Introducing them would not be progress or product evolution.

Interchangeable Palm Swells and Back Straps Why don't we demand Euro-curves of 1911s? It must be doable. Like Marv said in Sin City, 'Cars today all look like electric razors.' But comfort is subjective, and I guess if you really like these features you should buy those brands. Still, those pop-out palm swells and back straps have got to reduce the rigidity, and thus weaken the frame; and those models offering this feature are not exactly battle-tested.

Appearance & Aesthetics It's a Glock. What did you expect? Besides, there's a huge aftermarket for this purpose. If you still hate them, buy something else.

Exceptions I'd like to see high quality sights as standard, and a true Long-Slide version of .40, .45 & 10 mm, with front and rear cocking serrations. But that's me.

--Ray

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have to agree that it's XD and M&P scampering to catch up to Glock. Glock's need to raise production is evidence.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
I watched the videos that SA put on their website touting the XDm..............I just wasn't sold, didn't see anything more than some mods to the old model.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Own 2 Glocks and no XD's. Have no plans on getting an XD either. More Glocks though!!!:supergrin:

·
Cold Infidel
820 Posts
How many times do I read or hear, Will glock be able to do this or will glock be able to match that. Glock has cut out a niche in the firearms industry by doing what they do best, making affordable handguns that are extremely reliable, they may not be in the eyes of some people the "prettiest" or the most ergonomical, but obviously glock has been doing something right for a long time. I for one hope they just keep steamrolling along, and when I have the funds I'm buying a 30sf. I've sold glocks before to try other guns like sig, berretta, Hk, SW. and all I know is I wasn't satisfied with any of them, and I went back to glock.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think the term "Match Grade" barre is use loosley by gun companies. There are plenty of barrel makers out there selling "match barrels" not only for Glocks, but other firearms. Just cause it says match on the barrel, does not mean that you have a bulls eye gun, at least not with polymer pistols. Lock up is different.

Lets take for example a M1911. You have the gun, and a Bar-sto match barrel. That barrel is no good to you if is not fitted right. To make a M1911 shoot at least 2 1/2 inches at 50 yards, lock up has to be consistent. In case of the M1911, the hood has to be cut to fit the slide, the upper and lower lugs has to be cut correctly. And after all that, you need a fitted bushing to the barrel and slide to guide that barrel keeping tolerances to 1 or 2 thousands of an inch.

Going back to polymer guns. The lockup and the way these barrels are designed is not as complicated as a match grade M1911. I say Match grade 1911, because the service model 1911's tolerances are more loose. Glocks are designed for combat. And are combat accurate. You might not get 1" hole at 25', you probably get a group between 3" and 8" depending on your shooting capabilities. And thats damn good for a stock gun. With a well fitted "match Barrel" you can probably substract 1 to 2 inches. It wont make the Glock, XD or XDM a bullseye gun.

Now as far as the Glock having to make a competition gun... It's always been there. Glock 34 or 35. Get a aftermarket barrel, not for accuracy, but for your reloads, .25 trigger job, and overtravel disconnector. Add scopes, sights, a magwell and whatever else bling bling you want. Before you know it you be competing next to Dave Sevigny.:cool:

I read the reviews in some magazines about the XDM, and the shooting test wasnt anything to go crazy about. Especially for a gun that claims to be "match grade" and for competition purposes. It might be a nice gun, but the same results can be achieved with a Glock, and a change of few parts (if is only for competition and not self defense). The G34 and G35 are perfect for this purpose. Just my .02 cents.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts